Main Menu

Opinions? Swap in a 440 4spd???

Started by erik70rt, January 23, 2018, 06:30:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I've been toying with the idea of doing a 440 4spd swap on  my R/T SE.  It is an original 383 auto car, but not matching numbers.  We all know these are pretty rare cars, so I am on the fence about doing that kind of swap.  Yes, in the end it's mine to do with as I please.  Just curious as to opinions of would you or not to this car. 

I already have a 440 sitting in the garage waiting for a rebuild.  Don't have the manual trans parts at this time.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

DO IT !
Non numbers matching is always non number matching no matter what engine is in there ,
2 schools of thought here
-  if you want it to look original do a low deck 400 / 451 stroker
- or do the 440 /512
either way it is still not original , my R/T SE has the 440/512 , in a few hours I can swap in a 383 or 400

RUNCHARGER

I probably would depending on how clean the car is and if it is matching #'s.
Sheldon

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 23, 2018, 07:06:49 AM
DO IT !
Non numbers matching is always non number matching no matter what engine is in there ,
- or do the 440 /512
either way it is still not original , my R/T SE has the 440/512 , in a few hours I can swap in a 383 or 400

Absolutely!  :iagree:

erik70rt

Thanks.  Here is a pic of the car.  Very clean.  Interior is going to be swapped back to the original blue and I thought while I have it out I should swap in the 4 spd. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: Marc70challenger on January 23, 2018, 08:50:54 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 23, 2018, 07:06:49 AM
DO IT !
- or do the 440 /512

Absolutely!  :iagree:

I would not even hesitate, no brainer! I have done this to my '70 Cuda and '68 Charger and cannot tell you how much MORE fun it is to drive these cars now AND they perform so much better!  Since you are rebuilding your 440, I would stroke it to a 512.  And I would go with either Brewers or Passon 4 spd kit, otherwise you will spend at least a year trying to find each individual part for the swap.  I have the Passon 833 OD in my '70 Cuda and love it, so if you are looking to do some highway driving this is another option.

fc7cuda

I wouldn't do it.

If you want a 440-4sp, sell you car and buy one.  Your car looks great and I'm sure someone would be thrilled to have it.

:alan2cents:

EV2RTSE

IMO keep the 383 but swap in the 4-speed.

TelisSE440

IMHO do it... You will be glad you did.

Rich G.

I'd do it but I'd definitely put in a 5 speed. Then you can drive it anywhere and not rev the crap out of it on the highway. Keep the 383 on the floor. Go with a  hydraulic clutch setup and you won't have to deal with putting in a z bar and bracket.

Chryco Psycho

I would run the Passon Hemi 4 spd OD as the 855 is not really available ,. the massive Tq of the 512 will not be bothered by the gear ratio spread

RUNCHARGER

I like the Passon OD idea as well. They work nicely with a 400 inch and up engine.
Sheldon

750-h2

Real R/T SE I would definitely leave it stock. 90% of 318 and 6 cylinder Challengers/ Barracudas already have a 440 swap.

erik70rt

Interesting opinions.  Keep them coming! 

JS29

I think I would do the 4-speed swap. :alan2cents: