Main Menu

Opinions wanted

Started by xx88man, February 07, 2021, 10:53:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I'm looking for opinions please. If a driver car has a rare option but all the parts from that option are missing.... is the car more valuable because it can go back to original? Or is it less valuable because the pieces have to be tracked down and purchased to bring it back to original. Or it doesn't affect how much a car is worth. Opinions please. THANKS
Keep yer foot in it

Shoooter

Depends on the option. Shaker hood and rear louvers I think it would up it. Most other stuff unchanged value  depending. I assume your talking about options other than motor, transmission.

xx88man

Quote from: Shoooter on February 07, 2021, 11:11:37 AM
Depends on the option. Shaker hood and rear louvers I think it would up it. Most other stuff unchanged value  depending. I assume your talking about options other than motor, transmission.

Yes I am
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Documented factory installed rare options will always make a car more rare, desirable and valuable.  If the car is missing those parts, it's still more valuable or at least more desirable then a car that never had those options...

I think a N96 shaker hood car, without the hood is more desirable then a car with an added shaker hood.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

I think it makes it more valuable, but not by much.
If the parts are uber expensive and/or virtually unattainable the added value of such an option is limited.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

To that note, I'd rather have an original N96 shaker car with a reproduction hood, than a car with a shaker hood added  :alan2cents:

The money is in the documentation  :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Shoooter

I agree with having a reproduction hood on a real car . If it was a sunroof car and it was taken out with a new skin I think that is still more valuable but lower options like discs , billboards, side scoops ect wouldn't bring much more value. For a project they might as they can be added on but on a finished car if they are missing I don't think they add much value outside of the obvious big options

anlauto

Lower options may not bring a lot more money, but still add to desirability. In the 1971 Cuda world, just about every restored car has billboards, but finding an original V6X/W car is still pretty rare and sought after. :alan2cents:

cudamadd

Could  not agree more great answers. For me half the fun is chasing the rare parts . Example a friend in hunting down   The factory speed control parts he is missing and the 8 track tape player . Always get the best true and honest information here great stuff . :australia:

xx88man

Awesome. Pretty much what I think too. Thanks guys.  :drinkingbud:
Keep yer foot in it

jimynick

That's what makes the site so good, the diversity of opinion and knowledge. But for me, knowing that the piggy had nice lipstick once upon a time, doesn't make the piggy more attractive now, but then, that's just my  :alan2cents:  Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

it's funny YOU say that...I'm sure you're pretty happy your car once once originally TX9 Black and happy it was a 360 car ....These options make it rare a desirable or would you be just as happy with a brown 318 car ?

RUNCHARGER

When I was putting the R/T-SE together and chasing all the relays, wiring, working lights, headliner material, moldings etc. I really thought it wasn't worth it to be honest. The value of an SE isn't really any more than an R/T and although the leather seats were a great upgrade the other stuff isn't a big deal to me and may go against the "muscle" theme. Pretty sure if I found another R/T-SE or even just an SE that if it was missing much it wouldn't be an SE when I was done with it.
I added 2 shaker hoods to my last two Challengers and I wouldn't add that to another one either, They're sort of cool looking but the R/T Challenger hood looks pretty cool too. If I founc an original Shaker car though of course there is no doubt I would hunt down the stuff again and make it right.
Most of the other options are just fluff IMO, Rear wing I can leave behind, 15X7's are a must have and I would add them to a car that didn't have them. Rally cluster is a must have, AM8Trk is nice but they don't sound so great, factory AM/FM is nice but they don't sound so great, PW is a great option but you don't need it etc.
Body condition and originality is what makes it for me and I'll take a stripper car with a build sheet before an optioned car without documentation.
Sheldon

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

tparker

I once heard, and since use the line on my wife all the time, something is only worth that price if someone is willing to buy it. LOL. I personally wouldn't value a car that WAS a hemi but now has no motor or has a straight six anymore than any other car in the same condition... assuming it is apples to apples comparisons. But other parts may be included that might warrant a higher price. Same with any other option. But that is just me.

Obviously people care about numbers and either like to own rare things or would like restore to factory specs. That drives up the prices and causes donor cars to get parted out. Once a car has been modified, it is modified to me even if it is an original part. Why? Because it isn't an original part. LOL. Having a 1970 Challenger with low miles and all original parts except for consumables like tires, belts, and air cleaners is truly a rare car and should be treated as such. But a car that has been restored with correct parts is a cool and interesting thing, it still isn't original. My thoughts. I love the fact people do this so we can see the cars in all their glory, but never understood why the price is so high for them.

But back to the point, yeah you can probably find someone willing to pay extra cause you have something rare, even though you may not have those parts. Someone will pay extra for it. The question is how easy is it to find that person? A missing Hemi? Probably easy. Missing Louvres? I don't know. In any case, I built mine cause I love it, not cause of the value. Heck, not even sure what mine would go for. Original Western Sport Special 318. Now a stroked 340 (if I ever get the engine back from the shop) and drive train to go with it. Added front disc brakes. Deleted the side rubber side molding  and repainted the ralley wheels black ( One of the previous owners did this and it looked cool so I kept it). And a few other things. I repainted the car and it was hard to loose the original Western Sport Special decal. I got a new one but it isn't the same. It isn't original and it doesn't mean the same to me. But hey, it's there.

Just my thoughts
Tom