Main Menu

Overheating; Radiator fan not working

Started by cnm2215, November 01, 2023, 11:44:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cnm2215

73 Cuda is overheating after driving for a while. My radiator and fan were replaced three years ago (by previous owner). The fan isn't spinning. A multimeter shows that its wire is getting electricity. At first, I thought maybe the fan's motor had burned out (and that still might be the case). Then I noticed that the fan is binding against its plastic sheath.

I would like to remove the fan & sheath, but it's riveted to the radiator and I'll have to drill out the rivets. (Hopefully, I can do this without drilling a hole into my radiator!). Then I will use a dremel tool to trim the sheath so that it won't bind against the fan (or, if the motor is burned out, I will replace the motor or fan).

Is that a bad idea?
Once I fix or replace the radiator fan, is there any special or recommended way to connect the fan back onto the radiator?
Any misc. advice or suggestions?

blown motor

Use your dremel or a grinder to grind off the face of the rivet rather than drilling it. Do it very slowly so as not to get the plastic too hot and melt it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

If you want to drill it out use a piece of sheet metal behind the rivet in case you go thru.
You could use a nutsert/ rivnut then bolt on the fan from then on? 

https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

cnm2215

It's embarrassing that I didn't even think of that.

I ground off the rivets and removed the fan.  Used the dremel to trim the plastic shroud and the fan blade is no longer binding on it. Next step is to re-install it.

cnm2215

Thanks!

Would it be sufficient to just use a nut, bolt, and lock washer? I think I have enough clearance to do so (There's a ridge on the edges of the radiator that the fan connects to and I have a 6cm gap to work with)

Brads70

You could use a nut and bolt but looks like it's tough to get at to hang on to it with a wrench?
A rivnut will be easier in that regard. If you need to add a door mirror you will need the rivnut tool anyhow.... they are also cheap on amazon?

cnm2215

UPDATE:  I removed the radiator fan and shroud. Used a Dremel tool to trim away the plastic parts of the shroud that were binding up against the fan. Re-installed the fan on the radiator. Replaced the fan relay. It's now working.  YAY!

The car runs a little warm, but I'm confident it's not an issue with the cooling system. I think it might need an oil change.

Thanks, all!