Main Menu

headlights not working

Started by cuda hunter, April 30, 2020, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

both the alternator and the voltage regulator are fairly new.  Probably not warranted anymore but neither have 100 miles on them.   The VR is peeling on the back already.  It's made in China. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

Connect the wire an see if you have power were it belongs. My friend thinks you might have an alternator issue.    Over charging can cause all kinds of problems. New dose not mean anything.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

On my Cummins Ram I had to replace the VR every year & usually in less than 12 months but it was in a stupid place on the firewall & water would run into the rear of it .

cuda hunter

So, voltage regulator took a crap, is pouring sand out of it.  Chinese made with maybe 40 miles on it. 
This caused the alternator to over charge and burnt up the alternator wire into the bulk head.
I replaced the VR with an old one I had sitting around the garage that is a Wells made in the U.S.A. and it seems to be working fine.
At the same time as the VR went out and wire burnt up, the headlights went out.  But it had nothing to do with the VR or the burnt up alternator wire.
I took the headlight switch out and it had some serious corrosion. 
cleaned up the dimmer switch also but it wasn't the problem.  The corrosion on the headlight switch was keeping the current from getting to the dimmer switch. 

All pretty simple stuff.  Thanks JS29 for the help, and thanks Neil for the phone call and help. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

Sand in the VR & a wee bit of corrosion in the light switch  :Thud:
Glad to help , anytime !!
Neil

JS29