Main Menu

POR15

Started by ledphoot, February 23, 2019, 09:40:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

So I  got the dash out and was cleaning up the sheet metal behind it to prep for the dynamat and vintage air install and I noticed a distinct difference in the finish on the floor and behind the dash. My Challenger is all body color inside and out, but the Cuda has a fairly strong hick black paint on the floor top and bottom. I asked my brother what was up with this and he said when he had the car painted they put POR15 on the floor. He said there was no serious rust they just did it to make sure it didn't rust. The floor looks like it's solid, no signs of repair or rust through etc. but there are no pictures of it from before the POR15 was applied.

I don't like it. LoL

But I don't know if I want to go through the effort to strip that stuff off to satisfy my curiosity.

What would you do???

Rich G.

If it was put on correct and not peeling off I'd just scuff it , prime it and paint it. If it was put on right it won't come off.

Dakota

I agree that if you don't see any rust showing through, it was most likely applied properly and shouldn't need any further attention. If you're going to top coat it, use the primer shown below beforehand  - no sanding/scuffing needed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/poi-41108?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-por-15&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncO2h7_U4AIVwpCfCh0UiAavEAQYASABEgLzJvD_BwE

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  If the metal is solid I would just scuff and go with it.

RUNCHARGER

I really hate that stuff. I suppose I would just leave it too. I owned two E-bodies with that stuff on the floors and it bugged me so much I sold both of them.
Sheldon

ledphoot

Yeah I am not digging the POR15 either.. It was done 15+ years ago and there is no rust showing through anywhere. The metal all appears solid... Ugh.. I am going to cover it in dynamat shortly so I guess it's gonna stay and I will just pray the floor outlasts me :)

IRON MAN

"There was no serious rust" statement means there was rust. I had a similar situation and took someone's advice to place a 100 watt bulb lit under the car at night in the garage. Turn off all the lights except for the light under the car. Look inside the car at the floor and see if there are any pin holes the light is shining through. In my case I found a few and JB Welded them closed. Then put down the Dynamat.

ledphoot

Quote from: IRON MAN on February 24, 2019, 12:34:34 PM
"There was no serious rust" statement means there was rust. I had a similar situation and took someone's advice to place a 100 watt bulb lit under the car at night in the garage. Turn off all the lights except for the light under the car. Look inside the car at the floor and see if there are any pin holes the light is shining through. In my case I found a few and JB Welded them closed. Then put down the Dynamat.

Oh yeah there was certainly rust :) According to my brother it was surface rust which they treated and then covered in this crap. If it were a stranger that I had purchased the car from I'd be a LOT more scepticle.. I will put some of my bright lights under the car and have a looksie... I went over it pretty hard yesterday, but didn't think to use a bright light and check everywhere.

I spent most of the day removing factory seam sealer and stuff that the dynamat wouldn't adhere to well.

Thanks guys :)

usraptor

Just curious, what is it about Por15 that you guys don't like?   :dunno: I didn't use it.  I used Rust bullet instead and I was very happy with it.

71-440

Quote from: usraptor on February 24, 2019, 02:32:57 PM
Just curious, what is it about Por15 that you guys don't like?   :dunno: I didn't use it.  I used Rust bullet instead and I was very happy with it.

I'm curious too. Never used the stuff but just wondering what's wrong with it.
Joe

ledphoot

My personal issue is that it's a shortcut, it masks reality.  It's kind of like going out for drinks, hooking up with a pretty girl who's wearing a lot of makeup and waking up in the morning to the "reality" and being severely disappointed.  :stop:

RUNCHARGER

In a few spots I ground through that garbage to find really thin metal or holes in the metal covered up by the goo. Maybe the stuff stops rust but I'm not sure, maybe the rust keeps going underneath that coating. The right way to do it is to clean down to bare metal and weld in new metal where it is thin. Then you seal it with Epoxy Primer and paint it and it shouldn't rust again.
Put it this way, has anyone coated perfect metal with this stuff?
This was my HemiCuda, Factory FC7, 4 speed, white interior. Back then you had to wreck another car to cut a floor out of it, I wasn't happy knowing that stuff was in there so I sold the car. If I had know AMD would bring floors out later I would have kept the car. But I sold it because that stuff bugged me that bad.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: 71-440 on February 24, 2019, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: usraptor on February 24, 2019, 02:32:57 PM

I'm curious too. Never used the stuff but just wondering what's wrong with it.
I've used it and thought it was fine.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 24, 2019, 07:57:28 AM
I really hate that stuff. I suppose I would just leave it too. I owned two E-bodies with that stuff on the floors and it bugged me so much I sold both of them.
You could have just installed a carpet.... :pokeeye:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

kawahonda

IIRC, por15 is an acid based paint. It should perfom as similar to doing an acid treatment + painting.

I've used it before. I do not like it. If you ever want to remove it, it makes your life way more difficult. If I see it in a car then I start raising red flags. It's like walking into a house where someone used pine sol. Lol.

Runchargers method is how I do it. If there's metal that isn't perfect but isn't a candidate for cutting then I weld pin holes, rust treat, then epoxy. That is the right way.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66