Main Menu

Rad hose blew off

Started by three two barrels, July 26, 2020, 09:32:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

three two barrels

I remember reading the post a couple weeks ago about someone's hose clamp breaking and thinking that would never happen to me. Mine did not break but the top rad hose blew off after a short test drive, I had the rad recored last fall and this was the first time driving it since then, I am sure I installed the clamp correctly.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

But they just look so cool....

Sorry I drive my cars... Looking cool is down the priority list...

Sorry you experienced that, makes a mess but usually it cleans up with no real damage....

Chryco Psycho

Sucks for sure easy to clean up at least , use better clamps !!

Had a lower hose slip off while driving due to PO cutting it an 1-1/2 " to make it easier to install, ugh.

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 26, 2020, 09:56:44 PM

... Looking cool is down the priority list...
Says the guy with a convertible Challenger...  :haha:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: 73440 on July 27, 2020, 12:32:01 AM
Had a lower hose slip off while driving due to PO cutting it an 1-1/2 " to make it easier to install, ugh.
:iagree:
My first thought was the hose looks a little short maybe, and when the engine moves under load it      " pulls" on it somewhat? Then add in pressure.... :notsure:

72 Challenger

I have seen this before and it's generally because the hose is wrong. If the pressure built up enough to blow the hose off then the cap is not functioning and the car is overheating.

I find a lot of people in the mopar hobby also reuse these clamps many times. Like everything spring related they have a lifespan. You wouldn't put a worn out 50 year old rear leaf back on a car.

New hose, new clamp and back on the road.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Burdar

I put a little weatherstrip adhesive on the hose before installing it.  Having the hose blow off is one of my big concerns.

What hose did you use?  Did you use a reproduction with date codes or a parts store replacement?  I've heard some new hoses are a little thinner then the original ones and the factory clamps don't keep those tight.