Main Menu

Seeking Advice of Asking Price for #s 440 Magnum 4-Speed 1970 Challenger R/T

Started by RSI700VIPER, December 24, 2020, 07:59:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Hey, very nice car and glad you are putting the BumbleBee back on.  While at it, paint the hood air intakes body color as well.
I'm thinking it's a solid $50k+ car. 
And another vote for putting it on Cars-On-Line.com at $60k and be patient as there is someone out there that just has to have it!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

serpiko

Quote from: JH27N0B on December 27, 2020, 08:37:59 AM
Cool car but U codes don't get much more love than N codes it seems, I'd say low 40s as it sits, and high 40s with some issues rectified.

I reckon this will be more and more of a general trend, muscle/pony cars were sexy and fast, but by modern standard they are super sexy but no longer fast, hence performance is no longer so relevant. The value gap between entry level motors and top performance variants will stop growing and reverse, and maybe this is already happening imho.

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: challengermaniac on December 29, 2020, 12:32:39 PM
Hey, very nice car and glad you are putting the BumbleBee back on.  While at it, paint the hood air intakes body color as well.
I'm thinking it's a solid $50k+ car. 
And another vote for putting it on Cars-On-Line.com at $60k and be patient as there is someone out there that just has to have it!

Good advise  :bigthumb:

RSI700VIPER

I would respectfully disagree.  People who buy classic cars do not buy them for the power they make, but rather for nostalgic reasons.  They owned one when they were a teenager and want to relive their youth.  Classic cars are also fun and easy to work on requiring simple tools not to mention cruise nights, cars and coffee and the local shows.  People who own and enjoy these cars are approaching their peak earning years, so I don't see prices dropping significantly anytime soon.  As far as Challenger R/Ts go, they made 916 440 4-speeds and 2704 383s.  In addition to being much rarer, the 440 came with a hemi trans, dana rear, k frame skid plate, and several other desirable items plus made 40 more Horsepower.  IMO, a U-Code 440s get  a hell of a lot more attention and respect than the standard N-Code 383 variant.  Don't get me wrong, I've owed many 383 R/Ts and they are great cars, but not in the same category.   

js27

I agree with you. People who buy these cars are not in it for HP. Back in the day they were king of the streets but by todays technology they can't compete. I have been in this hobby for 50 years and seen it's ups and downs. I also believe that 440 cars are under rated. The issue is there is no doubt that the 6 pack and Hemi's  Gardner the big bucks. The question is would you pay 10 or 15 thousands dollars more for a 440 car over a 383 car  if the cars were equal in every way other than the motor ?
JS27

serpiko

Quote from: js27 on January 05, 2021, 05:59:07 AM
I agree with you. People who buy these cars are not in it for HP. Back in the day they were king of the streets but by todays technology they can't compete. I have been in this hobby for 50 years and seen it's ups and downs. I also believe that 440 cars are under rated. The issue is there is no doubt that the 6 pack and Hemi's  Gardner the big bucks. The question is would you pay 10 or 15 thousands dollars more for a 440 car over a 383 car  if the cars were equal in every way other than the motor ?
JS27

I believe the answer to this question is quite straightforward, me yes, I would pay extra (maybe not 10k extra but easily 5k or a bit more), but I am in my mid 40s. For a guy in his 20s 440 or 383 is not a big difference as performance in this contest are not so relevant. We tent to forget/ignore that a modern 4 door saloon car like a Tesla Model 3 Performance will obliterate even an Hemi Challenger, a younger buyer doesn´t.

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: js27 on January 05, 2021, 05:59:07 AM
JS27

Well the Hagerty price guide says a 440 car is $11k - $18k over a 383 depending on condition.  Add a 4-speed and the price gap grows even more.   I'll be putting this car up for sale in a few weeks once I get the stripe on and take care of a few other details.  Guess we will know then what it's really worth.