Main Menu

Dodge Dakota Question (I know not an E Body)

Started by Daveh, January 21, 2020, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Just a quick question.  I'm looking for a beater truck not for everyday use.  I stumbled upon a 2007 Dakota extended cab that seems to be well taken care of.  The present owner has had it for 10 years.  New paint 6 years ago, no rust, engine runs well, trans shifts well and the front suspension was replaced a year ago.  He had the receipts. 

He want's 3K for it the only kicker is that it's got 200/K miles one it.  I see some listed with 150/K for double that price.  I think it's a good deal just not certain about that 200/K.  I figure if something happened to the engine or trans I could replace either one for about 2/K each and still be ahead of the game.

Does anyone have any opinions?  Thanks

Dave

ec_co

my '02 with 270k miles has been a solid truck. 5.9L/AWD/Quad. the biggest issue with that 5.9 is the factory heads tend to crack, but there are aftermarket replacements available.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Burdar

V8 or V6?  If it's the 4.7V8 it's probably on borrowed time with those miles.

MEK-Dangerous

^^^ What he said.

What engine are we talking about?

Daveh

Dakota

I have an '08 Dakota Extended Cab 4x4 with the V6 with 90k miles (I know this is shocking given my username).   It's been a good truck for knocking around.   It struggles on hills (drops down a gear pretty regularly) and probably can't tow much compared to a 4.7 liter or larger.  That said, it's definitely a lot easier to maneuver in parking lots and gets much better gas mileage (around 19 mpg) on the highway than the '02 4.7 liter Ram 1500 that I recently parted company with.  It's really easy to switch in and out of 4WD which has made me happy during the winter driving here as long as I don't accidentally turn the fan switch by mistake.

Overall I've been really happy with the truck in the 6 months I've owned it.   For the mileage you're dealing with, it's probably a matter of how well you can gauge the frequency of oil changes.   I think changing the oil on my 4.7 every 3 months of 3k miles is the only reason it lasted to 230k.