Main Menu

Any advice on Dodge Dakota Trucks

Started by js27, February 01, 2019, 08:59:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

I am looking to buy a cheap knock around pick up. I have been looking at 1998-2005 Dodge Dakotas. Some are 3.7 6 cylinder and other are 4.7 V eights.  Don't know much about them. Are they good trucks- is one year better than others-is one motor better than others ?
I have noticed that a lot have issues with the factory paint peeling on the roofs-hoods-fenders. Most have 130,000 to 250,000 miles on them all between $2500.00 and $4000.00 price range. Looks like they can last a long time with that high mileage on them.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks
JS27

erik70rt

I had a 2004 4x4 with a 4.7 and a 5 spd.  I LOVED that truck.  Had 220K on it when I let it go.  Paint was fine and it ran great.  The only issue I really had was the headliner finally gave up and came unglued from the board. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Bullitt-

We had '98 & '99 V6 base models as company trucks..  Great trucks that were abused & still saw 200,000 miles with virtually no issues.  White paint held up well, the bench seats were awful. Bad when new & terrible as they aged.  I acquired some bucket seats & replaced in the last one I was driving just before we sold it to an employee. 
I preferred the '98 as it seemed to have more power & rode a little smoother. Why I have no idea.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Dakota

I'm running a 4.7 liter in my '02 Ram.   It's now at 228k miles and starting to show it's age (burning oil).   Based on comments from a previous post I made about finding a replacement engine, anything over 200k on this motor is considered bonus mileage compared to normal life expectancy.

It's interesting that paint problems have persisted with Dakotas.   I had a '93 in dark blue which started have paint peeling problems after a couple of years.  I was able to get a dealership to repaint it under a warranty claim.  Otherwise it was a great truck.   It's where my user name came from.