Main Menu

Sheet metal availability

Started by dodj, November 28, 2023, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

What is the state of replacement metal nowadays? Is it drying up? The reason I'm asking is there are a couple places on my car that I 'repaired', as well as an electrician trying to be a sheet metal guy could do. There were no options at the time to buy replacement pieces. One place in particular is the driver's hinge area. Looks like you need to buy two pieces to redo this area.
I have no intention of ripping my car apart in the next 3 or 4 years, but should I buy the metal now? Or will they be available for some time yet?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

I would buy it now while its available.  :alan2cents:

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

Absolutely buy what you need now. Even if stuff you're looking for could be available in 3 - 4 years I bet it'll be more expensive.

dodj

OK...better call up Roseville....It's been a while since I used their services. Do we still get a discount from them?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

I believe we still do. Speak to Dave or John and mention the site. Dave had the 2 pc hinge plrs when I was looking. Good luck and don't wait for spring as the old saying went.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Goldenleaf here in Ontario also has the side pillar inner pieces...may be cheaper staying in Canada ? :canada:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on November 28, 2023, 06:50:42 PMGoldenleaf here in Ontario also has the side pillar inner pieces...may be cheaper staying in Canada ? :canada:
Thanks Alan. Never heard of them. I'll check. I prefer to support site sponsors but if the $$ difference is a fair amount.....
Do they sell the same brand stuff as far as you know?

Jay Bee

Still do some cost comparison. As an example - My Dynacorn 6000WT was still cheaper using Roseville, with all things considered, than Golden Leaf. The exchange wasn't as bad back then though. 

dodj

Hmmm. They only list one of the two parts. Do you know the brand of sheet metal they carry John? @Jay Bee

Jay Bee

Sorry, I don't know that. I'm only familiar with that Dynacorn part because after seeing mine a buddy bought one from Golden Leaf.

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on November 29, 2023, 04:04:58 AM
Quote from: anlauto on November 28, 2023, 06:50:42 PMGoldenleaf here in Ontario also has the side pillar inner pieces...may be cheaper staying in Canada ? :canada:
Thanks Alan. Never heard of them. I'll check. I prefer to support site sponsors but if the $$ difference is a fair amount.....

No, Goldenleaf is the CDN distributor of Dynacorn stuff, but you're right I only see the one part listed...maybe best to stick with Roseville
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on November 29, 2023, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: dodj on November 29, 2023, 04:04:58 AM

No, Goldenleaf is the CDN distributor of Dynacorn stuff, but you're right I only see the one part listed...maybe best to stick with Roseville

I gave them a call. They don't carry, or make, the cowl side hinge panel outer. Only carry the cowl hinge panel inner.  Weird to only carry one of two required pieces. :dunno:

anlauto

Yes, that is odd....I've bought some stuff there recently, it's nice I can just drive over and pick it up.

7E-Bodies

When China hits Taiwan (and I'm betting on it), getting any Taiwan stamped steel is going to screech to a halt. If you need steel, I'd suggest buying it now. Just my  :alan2cents:
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green