Main Menu

Storage question

Started by blown motor, September 09, 2022, 11:16:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I always fill the gas tank in the fall and put in fuel stabilizer. If the car is in temperature controlled storage do I really need to fill it to prevent condensation and the the inside of the tank from developing any minor rust?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JS29

Are you running a dehumidifier?   

blown motor

JS29

A dehumidifier will take out the condensation that accusers when the temperature fluctuates.    :alan2cents:

Cudajason

I figure it cant hurt to fill it up.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Ya you're right Jason. I was asking out of curiosity. Sometimes my mind does that.

MKA

Quote from: Cudajason on September 09, 2022, 08:26:15 PM
I figure it cant hurt to fill it up.

:iagree:

I wouldn't think a car in a garage would get too much condensation but neither will a full tank.

RUNCHARGER

I always fill it with non-ethanol fuel, no problems yet. An extremely fussy friend of mine left his bought new, 71 Charger SE with a half tank of fuel and he had a heck of a mess one spring.
Sheldon

Hood

Just my two cents....
I would definitely fill it up, I've been doing this for almost 50 years with no problems. Michigan winters can get very brutal and my garage is unheated.
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

anlauto

I just watched a video from Legendary Motor Cars, they said fill it up, also over inflate the tires which I've never heard before

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

I prefer to just live in a southern climate (Houston) and have year-round use! Though my cruising definitely drops in the summer (:

Racer57

Propane heat is dry. My house is heated with propane and if my humdifier isn't working correctly, everything I touch shocks me, my Wife and the cat which is fumy as hell.  :D

usraptor

Stabil also makes Stabil 360 which was originally formulated for marine use.  It supposedly also treats the gas tank and gas lines and prevents rusts and condensation.  It's a little more expensive and sometimes harder to find; but less of it treats the same amount of fuel as the regular Stabil so the increased price is sort of a wash.  Bottom line, is I fill the gas tank of my 'Cuda and also add the Stabil 360.  I add it at the gas station before I fill the tank so it gets it thoroughly mixed as I fill up and then sucked into the gas lines and carb as I drive home before I put it to bed for the winter.  :alan2cents:

MoparLeo

A couple of more things. Do not leave the battery hooked up to the cars electrical system.
Shorts have happened and caught cars/garages on fire.  :o
Leave a clear path out the garage door in case you need to move it out quickly.
Always have a large enough fire extinguisher in your garage to actually do some good. :fingerscrossed: Better to have a couple.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

jimynick

That's some more pretty good advice.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"