Main Menu

Sure way to tell difference from 70-74 cuda.

Started by northerncuda2021, June 22, 2021, 01:49:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

northerncuda2021

Why serial number is a 74 I'm an not sure.  Anything could of happened over the last 50 years.  Maybe it was a write off.  Maybe it was a desired car and someone sold serial number. Maybe it was stolen.  Who knows. I do know the number is clean and clear and I'm happy with that.

1 Wild R/T

What are the first seven digits of the VIN?

anlauto

Quote from: northerncuda2021 on June 22, 2021, 06:09:58 PM
Why serial number is a 74 I'm an not sure.  Anything could of happened over the last 50 years.  Maybe it was a write off.  Maybe it was a desired car and someone sold serial number. Maybe it was stolen.  Who knows. I do know the number is clean and clear and I'm happy with that.

The number is clean and clear, it's just on a stolen car, that's all :haha: :haha: :haha: Just Kidding.....it is odd though.. :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Most likely a vin swap but anyones guess as to why at this point, might be an issue if ever trying to sell it though.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on June 22, 2021, 04:09:47 PM
Quote from: formula_s on June 22, 2021, 03:38:14 PM
Quote from: dodj on June 22, 2021, 02:40:15 PM
Pretty much what Torred said. VIN number. It's on the dash, rad cradle, cowl, rear deck.  Take a look.

Where on the rear deck is the VIN number??

There is no partial VIN on the rear of an E Body.  :alan2cents:
Between the speakers..no?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on June 23, 2021, 04:38:24 AM
Pretty much what Torred said. VIN number. It's on the dash, rad cradle, cowl, rear deck.  Take a look.

Between the speakers..no?

That's an A Body thing...not E Body :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dodj

Oh well...just a few letters off... ::)
Coulda sworn I found some kind of number on my pkg shelf...but that was 30 years ago....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

northerncuda2021

Thanks guys.  I will leave it at that and enjoy my ride. I know it's a mismatched pieced together car.  I'm thinking they built one good car out of 2 or 3 other cars.  I'll drive and enjoy  Thanks again.  I'll be back for some more knowledge from all you experts.
Cheers.

Joegrapes

This is exactly my car. 25 years ago I bought two parts cars from this kid that needed to get rid of them as he was moving down south. A 1970 383 Gran Coupe and a 1974 318 Barracuda. The 1974 was in much better condition but was missing the whole interior including the dash and VIN plate. I took the whole interior, engine, left front fender, grill, header panel, tail panel and replaced the rear quarters with 70 style. The car is registered as a 1970 because that's the only VIN I had. Since then the car has been pretty much turned into a restomod but looks as the 70 Gran Coupe. I don't try to fool anyone. When I'm asked if it's all original I say all the parts originally came off some car, lol
Anyway a quick and easy way to tell is look at the trunk spring rods. A 1970 has two rods and a 1974 has only one. You can't easily add the second rod because the holes to except it aren't punched into the bracket so most people just leave it with one rod.

HP2

Title vin, dash vin, partial vins on radiator support and cowl. Do these all match and do they say 70 or 74?  This is the combination of things that a state government will use to determine the year of your vehicle for registration purposes.

As an enthusiast, there could be additional factors that add or subtract from the value based on the year of manufactur, but state licensing agencies couldn't give a flying flip about these.

anlauto

Quote from: Joegrapes on June 23, 2021, 05:26:45 AM
This is exactly my car. 25 years ago I bought two parts cars from this kid that needed to get rid of them as he was moving down south. A 1970 383 Gran Coupe and a 1974 318 Barracuda. The 1974 was in much better condition but was missing the whole interior including the dash and VIN plate. I took the whole interior, engine, left front fender, grill, header panel, tail panel and replaced the rear quarters with 70 style. The car is registered as a 1970 because that's the only VIN I had. Since then the car has been pretty much turned into a restomod but looks as the 70 Gran Coupe. I don't try to fool anyone. When I'm asked if it's all original I say all the parts originally came off some car, lol

This type of stuff happened A LOT back in the 80's 90's.....I'm guilty of it...I had a 73 as a driver, it rotted so much the front frame rail actually broke in half while driving it one day...we all just laughed, I later found another 73/74, I swapped a lot of parts over including the complete dash...At the time it was easier then having to register the new car, pay taxes, have a safety inspection etc... etc...When I sold the car, I sold it as "not numbers matching"  :haha: :haha:

Joegrapes

Yes, at the time I was just looking to replace a 1970 Roadrunner I had back in 1972 and came across these two cars cheap. All I wanted to do was just build a car to have fun with. Not thinking of any resale or collector car considerations. Also back then you could pick up any 72-74 E Body cheap. Everyone wanted a 70-71 car. And since the 70 was a big block car and had the VIN plate that's the way I went. Now any year E Body is desirable. To me it's not an investment. It's just a cool looking car to have fun with and brings back memories of growing up during the muscle car days.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on June 23, 2021, 06:18:35 AM
Quote from: Joegrapes on June 23, 2021, 05:26:45 AM

This type of stuff happened A LOT back in the 80's 90's.....I'm guilty of it...I had a 73 as a driver, it rotted so much the front frame rail actually broke in half while driving it one day...we all just laughed, I later found another 73/74, I swapped a lot of parts over including the complete dash...At the time it was easier then having to register the new car, pay taxes, have a safety inspection etc... etc...When I sold the car, I sold it as "not numbers matching"  :haha: :haha:
Ya, there's more R/T parts on my car than some restored R/T's out there. lol

northerncuda2021

Yup numbers matching isn't important for me. I just want to cruise and do what I want to the car knowing I won't decrease it's value if I wreck something that was original. Thsnks fellow members.

formula_s

I knew that. When I hear all these mopar know it all guys tell me about the ViN on the back of an E body I ask where ??  :notsure: