Main Menu

Sure way to tell difference from 70-74 cuda.

Started by northerncuda2021, June 22, 2021, 01:49:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

northerncuda2021

I bought a cuda awhile back.  Bought it as a 70. Has correct tail lights marker lights etc.  But serial number comes up as a 74.  Now I know this car was built from pieces.   As I'm tearing it down I notice different things that confirm it's a 70.  I think !!!     First of all no sway bars.  I was under the assumptions all 74 had a sway bar.  K member coin comes up as a 70.  What are some other little features that would help me to know forsure it's a 70.    Like I said maybe someone build a 70 around a 74 frame.  Thanks guys.

torredcuda

First thing to do is check to see if the numbers stamped into the body match the dash vin tag number, that will tell you if the body is a `74. If you don`t know where they are - https://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

I think it's pretty obvious if the VIN number on the dash and on your title says it's a 1974, then it's a 1974 that someone change the grill/tail lights and markers on...pretty common.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

If the trunk floor wasn't replaced the shock access hole is on the top for 70. Other years are on the front side.

dodj

Pretty much what Torred said. VIN number. It's on the dash, rad cradle, cowl, rear deck.  Take a look.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

Quote from: anlauto on June 22, 2021, 02:08:01 PM
I think it's pretty obvious if the VIN number on the dash and on your title says it's a 1974, then it's a 1974 that someone change the grill/tail lights and markers on...pretty common.

Dash vin tag might have been swapped onto a `70 body, checking body numbers will tell.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

Quote from: torredcuda on June 22, 2021, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 22, 2021, 02:08:01 PM

Dash vin tag might have been swapped onto a `70 body, checking body numbers will tell.

You're right, a lot of things can happen in 50 years I guess.

There are dozens of changes in the sheet metal when comparing a 1970 to a 1974. The floors are different, the frame rails are different, etc...etc...
Check the E Brake cable location, two on DS 70 vs one on each side 74, Number of bumper bracket mounting holes in the front frame rails, 2 on 70, 3 on 74.... distance between transmission mount bolt holes wide 70 narrow 74...
The list goes on and on...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Post pictures of the underside...we can tell you pretty quick...

northerncuda2021

Oh wow this is fantastic guys.  I do know there are 2 bolts on bumper bracket frame.  Not sure about the emergency brake cables as there are not any. Yes I will take some pictures and post as soon as I get back in shop.  Thanks so much

formula_s

Quote from: dodj on June 22, 2021, 02:40:15 PM
Pretty much what Torred said. VIN number. It's on the dash, rad cradle, cowl, rear deck.  Take a look.

Where on the rear deck is the VIN number??

anlauto

Quote from: formula_s on June 22, 2021, 03:38:14 PM
Quote from: dodj on June 22, 2021, 02:40:15 PM

Where on the rear deck is the VIN number??

There is no partial VIN on the rear of an E Body.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Like Alan said, post pictures of the bottom of the car..

anlauto

Unfortunately in this hobby some people think they can simply "rebody" a 1970 or 71 by using a newer 73-74 shell....Just cut out and weld in the partial VIN from the cowl and rad support....It's not that EASY....As I said there are dozens of major "easy to spot" differences that get over looked when doing a rebody  :foul:

Here's a quick example of one of the differences in front frame rails....I was actually surprised to find both styles are reproduced.. :bigthumb:

From the front of the car, the first two holes are in the same location making it able to put 70-72 brackets on a 73-74....just look for the third unused threaded hole if your 73-74 frame rail has 70-72 brackets. :twothumbsup:

northerncuda2021

Here is the best picture I have on file.  Looks like 2 holes to me.

anlauto

I agree it looks like a 70-72 rail, that's a good sign, and it looks like a possible 1970 only inner apron on the passenger side too  :bigthumb:

So expand on why your "serial number comes up as a 74":huh: