Main Menu

They are still out there

Started by cordodge, May 29, 2023, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cordodge

While at a car show on Saturday an older lady came up to me and said she had a 71 Challenger in a barn that her late husband had since 72. She showed me some pics and it looks to be all there. 71 RT 340 FC7 with a shaker 41,000 miles. I'm going to look at it this weekend to give her my thoughts on what she is up against but would be a nice car restored for sure.

anlauto

Are you going to buy it ? Whereabouts was it again ? ;)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cordodge

Quote from: anlauto on May 29, 2023, 09:46:31 AM
Are you going to buy it ? Whereabouts was it again ? ;)

Well she seems like she wants to restore it but she most likely has no idea the cost and what's involved. If she doesn't want to go though with it I told her I'd purchase it as I think it absolutely needs to be saved and restored as I'm sure it's fairly rare but we shall see. I'll take a look at it this weekend.

cordodge

Tag

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cordodge

Quote from: anlauto on May 29, 2023, 11:19:48 AM
H1D That's odd :drunk:

Is it? I'm not sure I thought most were 383s but could be wrong

Floyd

cuda hunter

And that would be the ONLY Belvedere plant e body ever produced.

Seriously that is a very odd thing.  What is going on.  Did you happen to find the build sheet? 

Or this is the single misprint of the factory that was ever made. 

@6bblgt
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Quote from: cordodge on May 29, 2023, 11:33:05 AM
Quote from: anlauto on May 29, 2023, 11:19:48 AM
H1D That's odd :drunk:

Is it? I'm not sure I thought most were 383s but could be wrong

H-340      Not unsurprising but very cool with the N96
1-1971     Best year for the challenger
D-Belvedere Illinois plant                What?  The belvedere plant made A's,B's and C bodies. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I have just gone through a thousand tags and the only D's that I have on record are C bodies.

Very interesting.   Sir, I would suggest picking this thing up pronto. 

cuda hunter

And when you do purchase it, please include those last four numbers for the record.

Looks like it had been repainted green and then brown. 
from a good color, to a worse color to an even lower color.   How drab. 

Does it retain it's X9 interior?  Black. 

cuda hunter

Most all of the belvedere plants fender tags use rivets instead of screws.

Your screws appear like original screws. 
Your tag appears to have all the right fonts. 

cuda hunter

another rivet tag

Mr Cuda

A  D that identifies as a B

After the build sheet of the FKZ color code,  lackadaisical workers.
Lack of education with worker?
Truly built at D after rework?

But most importantly,  just buy it. N96 71 340

My first thought was scam by little old lady, but pictures of tag blew that theory.
I've seen little old ladies pulling scams before.  One local guy ended up on TV news after to good to be true offer.
She had been by my shop the day before. I said bring the car.

cordodge

Well according to her and some of the pictures I've seen it's complete and never screwed with so I imagine the broadcast sheet is still there which I'll look for when I go see it. She never mentioned about it being painted but I guess I'll find out. It's been inside for decades and dry so hoping for the best.