Main Menu

Towing question

Started by Gross Polluter, May 23, 2022, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gross Polluter

Curious for thoughts about towing my 1970 Challenger.  I'm moving about 100 mi away and I don't the car is up to the drive so I want to try and have it towed between houses or probably trailered if possible. 

Has anyone here dealt with either AAA or insurance for that kind of thing?  Or does anyone know a good tow service in northern California?

Thanks
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

JS29

Standard or Automatic? 

Gross Polluter

7212Mopar

Tow truck is not going to be cheap. Don't think insurance towing covers that long distance. May be Uhaul truck and trailer rental?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Jay Bee

My CAA (Canadian AAA) plan gives me 200 km (120 mi) tow distance per call. If you have AAA call them and ask what their distance is. Yes, I've used mine, just insist on a flatbed.

Daveh

My upgraded U.S. AAA membership gives me 100 miles per tow.  It's unlimited. It's came in handy a couple of times but that was years ago.  I didn't want to abuse it.   

JS29

That would be AAA Plus,  Good for one hundred miles. The old automatic transmissions will pump fluid manually, so you could tow it that far with the drive shaft in place. the modern cars don't. so you could use a tow dolly.  :alan2cents:

Dakota

Recently towed my son's project car ('78 Camaro) about 200 miles.   Used a U-Haul car trailer.  Other than getting it up onto the trailer, it was a pretty smooth deal.   We would've used a tow dolly (front wheels on the dolly, rear wheels on the pavement) if his tires weren't ancient.   I think the bill was about $100 including a low level of liability insurance. 

Gross Polluter

Quote from: JS29 on May 24, 2022, 06:02:40 AM
That would be AAA Plus,  Good for one hundred miles. The old automatic transmissions will pump fluid manually, so you could tow it that far with the drive shaft in place. the modern cars don't. so you could use a tow dolly.  :alan2cents:

Thanks.  Just so I understand then, you're saying my car could be towed with it's rear wheels on the ground? 

I'm hoping to use a trailer but it's good to know my options.  The tow route is not a straight shot down flat roads, there will be stop and go traffic as well as several up and down grades.  The front suspension is not in great shape, would towing like that from the front wheels for 100 miles put unusual strain on anything? 

blown motor

We used to tow a pick up behind the planter. We towed with it in neutral and the engine running. It seems to me someone had said you have too do that to keep tranny fluid circulating to keep things cool.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Gross Polluter

Quote from: blown motor on May 24, 2022, 10:34:29 AM
We used to tow a pick up behind the planter. We towed with it in neutral and the engine running. It seems to me someone had said you have too do that to keep tranny fluid circulating to keep things cool.

Oh wow, if I'd need to keep the engine running for 2 hrs that would be a good argument for a trailer.  Part of the reason I don't want to drive it in the first place is I think it could overheat.  Might be a problem with the fan clutch but won't be able to address it before the move.

JS29

That engine running is for modern vehicles, as per my other post, it is because of the electronic components. It's better to have the heavy end of the car close to the tow vehicle, plus any play in the front suspension can effect the processes.   It tracks better with the rear on the ground.  :alan2cents: 

benguin

For an auto, we used to pull the driveshaft.  That way no connection to the trans at all.

Gross Polluter

I spoke with AAA and was told it would be no problem to use their service for this, even requesting a flatbed, as long as my membership level covers the distance and the car is registered and insured.  Just call on the day I need it.  Almost sounds too good to be true, hopefully that is reliable info  :fingerscrossed:   

Jay Bee

I don't know what your AAA response time is but the last couple times I used CAA they said the truck should show up in about an hour and a half. It was a bit earlier both times though. Guess it's the old "under promise, over delivery" cliche.