Main Menu

Towing question

Started by Gross Polluter, May 23, 2022, 01:24:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 24, 2022, 04:06:49 PM
I don't know what your AAA response time is but the last couple times I used CAA they said the truck should show up in about an hour and a half. It was a bit earlier both times though. Guess it's the old "under promise, over delivery" cliche.

That's good to hear.  In the periodic interactions I've had with AAA over the years their services are pretty good overall. 
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

Mr Lee

We pulled the engine out of my buddy's '78 trans am to get it ready to go to the body shop.  Called Triple A and told them, yeah my car won't start.  Triple A picked it up and took it for him.  No questions asked.   :haha:
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Mr Lee on May 25, 2022, 04:21:05 PM
We pulled the engine out of my buddy's '78 trans am to get it ready to go to the body shop.  Called Triple A and told them, yeah my car won't start.  Triple A picked it up and took it for him.  No questions asked.   :haha:

Good stuff!

Bullitt-

I don't have AAA but my Dad did... I had taken him shopping in my car and ran over something in the road that caused the sudden deflation of a tire(ruined it). It was on the busiest road in town on top of a bridge with just enough room to pull over so instead of trying to put on the spare he called AAA... They dispatched a tow truck that carried my car to the tire shop of my choice no charge..   Never knew it could work that way

Another tidbit I've learned.... My sweetheart is a State Farm agent.. She gets calls from folks stranded with flats, dead batteries, out of gas etc. frequently that she has to find dispatch & pay for assistance for them. This roadside assistance is part of many of our policies and similar to AAA... I never would have thought... Read your policy to confirm.
   I don't recommend their toll free # as I understand the wait can take forever, rather call your agent.... below is an outline of what they cover, I imagine other companies have similar programs
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/coverage-options/emergency-road-service-coverage
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Bullitt- on May 26, 2022, 05:41:40 AM
  I don't have AAA but my Dad did... I had taken him shopping in my car and ran over something in the road that caused the sudden deflation of a tire(ruined it). It was on the busiest road in town on top of a bridge with just enough room to pull over so instead of trying to put on the spare he called AAA... They dispatched a tow truck that carried my car to the tire shop of my choice no charge..   Never knew it could work that way

Another tidbit I've learned.... My sweetheart is a State Farm agent.. She gets calls from folks stranded with flats, dead batteries, out of gas etc. frequently that she has to find dispatch & pay for assistance for them. This roadside assistance is part of many of our policies and similar to AAA... I never would have thought... Read your policy to confirm.
   I don't recommend their toll free # as I understand the wait can take forever, rather call your agent.... below is an outline of what they cover, I imagine other companies have similar programs
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/coverage-options/emergency-road-service-coverage

Good suggestion.  I have a classic car policy that includes roadside assistance and towing but the policy seems pretty clear that its for emergencies.  I may call just to ask can I only use it if I'm literally on the side of the road broken down or is it enough that the car isn't capable of making the necessary one-way trip. 

Gross Polluter

Had a pretty good experience with AAA today.  After upping my membership level I called to request the trailer this morning.  They asked what was wrong with the car and why I needed a trailer but didn't push back on anything. I think they're just documenting so you don't call for the same issue multiple times.  Interestingly the towing company said they would have used a trailer anyway because they don't tow wheels up for that distance. 

Anyway, The trailer arrived in about 30 mins so the whole thing lasted about 2.5 hours with no issues.  My only gripe is the driver winched up the car with a strap around one lower control arm.  My suspension is old and somewhat compromised so I wasn't happy to see the vehicle pulled in that way.  When I mentioned it he let out some slack and just relied on the tire straps to hold it in place on the trailer.  Then when we arrived he just had me get in and back off the ramp instead of using the winch.  I took it for a drive afterwards it seemed to operating normal so hopefully that wasn't a big deal.