Main Menu

Two quick questions..

Started by Jocigar, December 19, 2022, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

1.   Is there a difference in pistol grips from 70-74, if so are they interchangeable regardless.   I should have 2 around from a 70 and a 73.  found one, don't know which it belonged to.

2.  Are all crack shafts from factory bored for pilot busing regardless if mounted to automatic transmission?   

Thanks !

RUNCHARGER

Nope, nope.
70 Pistol grip handles are slip in, 71 and later are secured with 2 bolts through them.
Automatic, forged cranks generally were bored for a pilot bushing but not reamed to the correct size. Cast cranks were not supposed to be used in manual shift applications.
Sheldon

Jocigar

Thanks for the information!

So two holes indicates 71-74.   Will a two hole work in a 70 yoke ?

I asked about pilot bushing because I am casually looking for a 340 for a future project.   Did all 340s come with pilot hole provision?

anlauto

NO a two hole will not work in a 70 yoke. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Quote from: anlauto on December 20, 2022, 07:17:12 AM

I'm assuming the 2 bolt 71 and up version was a design improvement? Was there an issue with the 70 style slip in shifters popping out?

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on December 20, 2022, 07:23:22 AM

I'm assuming the 2 bolt 71 and up version was a design improvement? Was there an issue with the 70 style slip in shifters popping out?

YES right from day one...I believe there's a famous "Road Test" picture of a guy driving an AAR holding the shifter handle in his hand.. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Quote from: anlauto on December 20, 2022, 07:26:32 AM
Quote from: Cuda_mark on December 20, 2022, 07:23:22 AM

YES right from day one...I believe there's a famous "Road Test" picture of a guy driving an AAR holding the shifter handle in his hand.. :thinking:

That's hilarious. I had a slip in style in my 70 Challenger and never had any issues with it. I specifically used a slip in style for my 70 convertible because I wanted it to be correct. Looks like maybe I should had considered function over correctness in this case.