Main Menu

Powder coat, slip plate or ? for cast iron parts

Started by Skdmark, September 24, 2022, 11:34:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Looking for feedback on finishing a Yukon 489 case and would like to preserve the raw cast iron look. Prefer not to paint or use RPM.
I have seen several recommendations for treating  exhaust manifolds with slip plate to accomplish this.
https://streettechmag.com/2022/01/08/slip-plate/

Slip plate, powder coat or ?

Thanks
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70vert

Interesting, I've never heard of Slip Plate. Assuming it works as advertised, it would have several advantages over powder coat. A big one is that you can do it yourself, and no hauling parts to a coater, no waiting. Not having to heat the part up for curing would be better for many uses.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used this. But for sure I'm bookmarking the link, can think of many uses  :thinking:

Skdmark

Usually when I've seen slip plate mentioned it is being used on exhaust manifolds as it doesn't burn off.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

EDL94

Slip plate is a graphite coating that I have used at work. We coat a weighted baloney cable that falls into a basket while a crane is hoisted at high speed. It is very slippery and helps the cable slide into the basket. It is very messy to deal with and gets on everything it touches. It will not wash off or out of gloves, hands, clothes, or the floor. It never really totally sets the graphite will rub off when touched or when you work on it. It might work ok on an exhaust manifold, but I think it would be a nasty mess on a rear diff. Just my two cents.

EDL94

One more thing We use it in the quart cans and manually apply it. I just looked at your link and see they sell it in a spray can. I did not know they sold it that way, it might be worth buying a can and testing it out on some scrap. Let it dry and see what you think.

Skdmark

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a pair of exhaust manifolds that I need to redo too. I might do those first with slip plate and see how it goes.
Below is a thread from another site about using it on exhaust manifolds. I've been curious if it makes sense to do other parts too. So far I haven't found anyone who used it and regretted it. Which is an anomoly in the Mopar world.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3073631/Searchpage/1/Main/233277/Words/%2BPowder+%2Bcoating/Search/true/re-exhaust-manifold-coating.html#Post3073631
-Harlan Ellison

Burdar

I had my center section sand blasted and then powdercoated clear.  I'm interested to see how long it stays looking nice.

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Skdmark

Clear powder and clear Cerakote are the other 2 on my list.
-Harlan Ellison