Main Menu

Cast iron or aluminum 440 six pack intake

Started by White71RT, July 16, 2017, 06:36:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

White71RT

Hi Guys.
New here.
I just purchased edelbrock Performer RPM 84cc heads and hear they flow really well.
I don't want to go to big of a camshaft so running 484 purple shaft as I still want to run the six pack currently on it
But should I change my six pack manifold to aluminum?
Is it better or would be better for sealing/weight or both
Or would the cast iron okay even though it weighs like 54lbs
The edelbrock aluminum aftermarket six pack manifolds..do theu flow any better?
Any insight would be grateful
Thanks

Cuda Cody

I've always thought the big difference / advantage to the 6 pack aluminum intake vs the cast intake was the weight savings.  They should both fit and seal the same and unless you port polish them they should be about the same flow I think.

Is your current cast 6 pack manifold stock or has it been port polished?

White71RT

Current intake is stock never ported.
That's my thinking too..weight
However I don't know if it's worth grabbing an aluminum one unless it provides better air flow

Cuda Cody

If it was mine, I would just run the cast intake since it's paid for and doesn't cost any more money.  But maybe @Chryco Psycho  has some thoughts on it?

HP_Cuda

The cast iron intake will retain more value than the aluminum ones anyway.

The only caveat here is like the special aluminum intakes on like the A12 M code rides.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

RUNCHARGER

Oh man, I'd run that iron intake with the aluminum heads just to make people scratch their heads.
Realistically though, maybe advertise it and see if someone would trade you an aluminum intake for it. There is probably someone out there that needs an iron manifold to make their V-code original. Both function the same.
Sheldon

White71RT

Ha ha.LOL
Maybe I should run that cast iron six pack intake with the aluminum heads. People would be scratching their noggins.

So no affect being the heavy iron it is on those aluminum heads in that the weight could cause any issues.

Maybe I'll see if someone wants to trade intakes as I have a.buddy close by who possibly would swap