Main Menu

vinyl stripe or no....

Started by ledphoot, October 01, 2019, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

So I am looking at my blank canvas of F8 Green '73 Cuda (non-original color to the car) and thinking about breaking it up a little bit with the correct year vinyl stripe...

What do you guys think? Should I put a Matte Black stripe on it or will I do it and peal it off the next day? :)

Chryco Psycho

With no vinyl roof I would add a stripe  :alan2cents:

RusTy/SE

Are you considering front and/or rear spoilers?

Edit: I just looked at the build thread and see that you are not planning on a rear spoiler. A vinyl roof changes the entire look of any e-body imo as does a full length body stripe - but at least with the stripe you can make an easy cardboard or paper template to attach temporarily and give yourself some real time look-see at it. Sorta like giving the car a chance to ask you, "Does this stripe make me look fat"?

:alan2cents:

JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

ledphoot

I'd only add a rear spoiler if I put an AAR style strobe stripe on the car.. Then I'd put the AAR style spoiler. Otherwise probably not. I'd most likely go with the '73 style stripe. I have bastardized the car enough and want it to look fairly stock to the untrained eye.

RUNCHARGER

Stock stripe in black or nothing I think.
Sheldon

Burdar

A stripe would look good on that car.  I assume you're moving the bumpers in to the 72 location?  You could put the 72 stripe on it.  It's similar to the 73 and you rarely ever see a car with it.  I like keeping a car true to its year so I'd lean towards the 73 stripe.(definitely not the 70 stripe...it's way over done)

I think what I would do is draw the stripe on the car in the "paint" program on your computer.  Then you can play around with different colors as well.  Black would look good but I think there is an opportunity to do something out of the box with the stripe color.  Maybe a lighter green or even a tan.

Wayne

I agree with others, factory black stripe would be ideal! 
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

I always lean towards the factory stripe in WHITE....but for some reason I agree, I think on this colour black would be enough... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I actually prefer the 72 stripe over the 73. I think it's a little cleaner looking. But it's not my car so you should do the one you like.

anlauto

Yea I really like the "not often seen" 1972 stripe  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

It's weird. With most cars I don't see stripes or vinyl tops making a huge difference, but Challengers seem to look quite different depending on the configuration. I'm not a Yellow car guy nor to I even really like vinyl tops, but I love my Yellow challenger with the black vinyl. I was thinking of adding different stripes and what not, but I don't think it would fit my car, plus it wouldn't make sense.

I'm not sure if I would put a stripe on mine if it was your color. Hard to say for me. If I did, I would probably go with black. The subtle look.

nsmall

72 or hockey.

No 73.  This is coming from a guy with a 73 Cuda.  No offense, but that 73 doesnt do it for me at all.  But that is just me, its your car. 

You can always drive it for a year or so, then add a stripe of your choice later to mix it up.

PS Nobody will know your 73 is not a 72 if you go down that path and tuck in those bumpers.

ClarkWGrizwald

For me, it's the hips on a cuda that make it so bad ass.  Any thing that accentuates that is a plus. So hockey or aar do it for me.
this is why I need to remove the door bumper guards as soon as possible on my car. They draw your eye down to the straight line instead of the curve up over the fender. Not so good in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

YellowThumper

Quote from: tparker on October 02, 2019, 10:17:28 AM
It's weird. With most cars I don't see stripes or vinyl tops making a huge difference, but Challengers seem to look quite different depending on the configuration. I'm not a Yellow car guy nor to I even really like vinyl tops, but I love my Yellow challenger with the black vinyl. I was thinking of adding different stripes and what not, but I don't think it would fit my car, plus it wouldn't make sense.

I'm not sure if I would put a stripe on mine if it was your color. Hard to say for me. If I did, I would probably go with black. The subtle look.
Lol on the "not a yellow car guy" statement. I have many times been asked "when you paint it what color will you pick?"
Um... yellow.

Opinion to op question. Yes I would add the stripe. Yes also in black. No I would not add anything else that advertises what it is not.

:alan2cents:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.