Main Menu

1970 Challenger Fender hood adjustment nut.

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, November 09, 2019, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

My sharp eyed body and paint guy noticed my repo fenders did not have the same hood adjustment nut on the fenders. I hope that it what it is called. Were these specific to only 70-71 fenders and are they available for sale anywhere. I would hate to rob them off my old fenders if I could avoid it. I would like the car to appear stock where I can. Any suggestions.

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I have added a better photo illustrating the part I am asking about. Anyone able to answer?

anlauto

I don't know that the correct looking ones are available from any source. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Perhaps someone could help up both. My previous owner told me he'd found these very clean fenders at a swap meet. He claims "they had the 71 slots, but I welded them up". Swears they're 71. My project is a 70. Thereby I'm very interested in this thread. Even though I haven't started fender work yet, I want to make these look right when I get there. @Cuda Cody @6bblgt @70 Challenger Lover? Can you guys chime in, perhaps with some correct pics? I can fav the base washers to correctness if necessary, but I'd need pics. Please let me know what I'd need to do with these fenders to make them correct. I'll be getting some pics if I can in a couple weeks at MCACN in a couple of weeks.

70 Challenger Lover

I looked through old photos of my 70 Challenger before I started work and it has these round threaded plates. I don't think it does anything other than add strength and thickness so that the stud with rubber bumper is held solidly when the hood slams down onto it. I don't recall ever seeing any kind of lock nut or jam nut to keep the thread stud from turning. The stud turns freely with a Phillips screwdriver on top. Here is a picture of my original 70 challenger.

70 Challenger Lover

The pixel size of the photo I uploaded got reduced so hard to see it but basically it is exactly like the picture you posted. Here is a picture of the RT that I just sold. You might be able to make it out in the lower left corner. Again, just like what you posted.

70 Challenger Lover

Lastly, here is my 71 Barracuda. Same round thick threaded reinforced plates welded to the top. I've never seen them for sale. I don't know but I have a feeling they are found on every Mopar of the era. Maybe even later years?

Cuda Cody

1970 Challenger fender.

Cuda Cody

More 1970 Fenders.  I have more original fenders off cars if you need photos.  :twothumbsup:

7E-Bodies

@Chaos-N-Mayhem I'm hoping the follow ups helped. They sure clarified things for me. @70 Challenger Lover and @Cuda Cody you guys rock. As usual. Thank you.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I agree. I love being part of this great community. I hate taking my old one off the fenders, but will do it to make the car appear closer to how it left the factory. Luckily, my body and paint guy caught before paint. Actually he has found a few things. So lucky to be working with someone that actually knows mopars.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Just a little follow up. I was able to get those reinforcement nuts off the fenders. It was not as hard as I thought. They appeared to have 4 small tangs coming off the bottom of the nut which slid down into 4 small slots in the fender top and were bent over from underneath to hold in place. Mine also had a small spot weld on them.

I ground down the weld with a small cut off wheel and then tapped them out with a hammer from behind. I did not intend to make slots in the fender or reuse the 4 small tangs. They broke off easily when I hit it with a hammer. They will be spot welded on the new one. Took about 30mins to remove both sides. At least now my repro fenders will look more like the originals.

7E-Bodies

I am looking for a pair of these if anyone can help me, shoot me a pm