Main Menu

Where to look for Rust on an E-Body...

Started by Cuda Cody, January 25, 2017, 10:28:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

Inside of the hood bracing and somewhat inside Cuda header panels.  Generally areas that didn't get much attention/treatment when assembled and were abused by the elements over the years.  :rebelflag"

HP_Cuda

Where the cowl meets the firewall. This is because all sorts of debris clogs the drain at the firewall and backs up water and rusts the entire area. You wouldn't know unless you pulled the cowl plastic screens and put a flashlight down there.

Another one is I've seen frame rails rust from the inside out. So getting a small inspection camera in there would calm the fears.

The biggest pet peeve is when folks weld on metal replacements and then hide rusting pieces behind them.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on January 25, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
Might want to start a list of where they don't rust :rofl: :rofl: be a shorter list :alan2cents: 
I've restored some of the rustiest E Body's in the "World" ;) and I can tell you....there's not too many places they won't rust.
LOL, ain't THAT the truth?! I was going to say anywhere that two pieces of metal came together and I really don't think that's too strong a description, based on my own experience.  :bigmoney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Squire Edgar

That's one nice thing about living in Southwest Oregon, not a whole lot of rain here and until the last couple years no salt on the roads. When I got my Challenger 22 years ago it had a little bit of rot  in the lower quarter panels and that's it. The factory vinyl top was non existent when i got it, our summer heat cooked it off i imagine, so the roof skin was perfect. My son's '71 Darts roof didn't fare as well.  :(