Main Menu

Whose to blame in a friendly street race?

Started by nsmall, September 29, 2019, 06:14:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Let's say you you pull up to a stop light, in the middle of nowhere, nobody around except some older mustang rolls up.

Light turns green, you get traction immediately, launch just fine in your lane, HOWEVER the mustang loses control of his car and slams into you.

Will you be in the wrong because technically you are Never to be racing on the streets?  I have Grundy insurance, not saying I ever race, just curious of the scenerio would play out.  I live in the very conservative state of California.

dodj

As long as you stayed in your lane, the other guy. You would never say you were racing anyway. A spirited drive...
Chances of the Mustang hitting you are pretty remote....you would be too far ahead...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

Break it down to basic rules of the road. If someone runs into you, they are at fault. Technically you both are in violation of racing but that wouldn't change the first part. It could be listed as a contributing factor and certainly would come up in a lawsuit.

JH27N0B

I live in the Chicago suburbs.  If that happened to me, I'd just claim I was afraid the guy next to me was a gangbanger about to carjack me or shoot at me, so I floored it to get to safety, and I'm sure no one would question my story!

Spikedog08

That's a shitty scenario . . Hope it works out for you.   :tired:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: JH27N0B on September 29, 2019, 06:34:52 PM
I live in the Chicago suburbs.  If that happened to me, I'd just claim I was afraid the guy next to me was a gangbanger about to carjack me or shoot at me, so I floored it to get to safety, and I'm sure no one would question my story!
I'm with you Brad  :yes:

Chryco Psycho

I assume this did not actually occur , just a what if question ....

torredcuda

Not sure how that would work? Even if you were still below the speed limit you are technically "street racing" so are both involved in something illegal but the accident would be more his fault than yours.  :dunno: In drag racing there is the "first or worst" rule in regards to disqualification - red light first you lose, if you both cross the center line the one who does first loses. Doubt the cops or insurance co. would go by drag racing rules though.   :D
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

JS29

I would use the was trying to get away from it defense!  :yes:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Quote from: Bullitt- on October 01, 2019, 08:47:42 AM
Reminds me of this Classic ......   :rofl:

I go past this intersection often .
Had forgotten about this video , thank you.

This is the road they were on , heading to a T intersection.

72 Challenger

I didn't street race much but if it went sideways and a car hit the other, it was just the risk of street racing. You pack up your crap, get out before the cops show up and fix your car or build another.

If the cops got involved you just shut up. Blaming someone else made you a rat - a target for more stupidity. 
Someday I will have a J0b.

YellowThumper

With zero proof of a race. Neither side normally would admit to to a race as it would hurt both regardless of outcome.
Now "normal" road rules apply and Mustang would be at fault due to improper and unsafe lane change.

Similar theme with multi car rear end accidents. Even if the lead car caused it for whatever reason. The last car in back to hit gets the blame for most of the damage.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.