Main Menu

Wrecked coupe shell into convertible questions?

Started by dave73, October 05, 2019, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I've seen a few posts about coupes to convertibles but a lot of them stray off topic into opinions to never do it. So I'm looking for some facts here.

I have a lead on a somewhat local to me challenger shell (no motor, trans, interior gutted) that had a tree limb crush the roof pretty good. The car sat outside for awhile on pavement like this and the roof is heavily rusted through in several areas due to water sitting in the dent over the years. The frame rails look solid, floors are iffy, I can get it cheap and it would be most likely a parts car. But that leads to my question, say I don't want to part it out and want to convert it to a convertible, what do I need to get by using the bare minimum of stock parts. Would be a custom of sorts.

Frame bracing - I've read on another forum someone said us cartool torque boxes and subframe connectors are enough to bracing when the roof is removed. Is that true? If not, what else would help?

Interior - would go with a full custom interior, wouldn't be concerned with door panels and such. I'm guessing I'd need stock top, top frame and the windshield header panel? Glass is different?

Chryco Psycho

The convert unibody is no significantly different , I would add the tq boxes as converts did have them  & I would subframe the car no convert had this from the factory , the doors had a siding wedge to help the rigidity when the doors were closed . they are different around the back seat to support the top & the seat is smaller , not sure how much is reproduced , I assume most of them are available as there are companies doing this . Side glass is different .
The big question is if you have to wreck a convert to get the roof assy maybe the donor car is in better shape anyway ?
@CudamanTom  ,  Tom has a converted Cuda he would be good to discuss things with .
The roof panel is available also if you just wanted to fix the shell

340challconvert

Challenger convertibles also had a thicker (1/4 in) steel plate in the rockers for extra support.  Edges were folded in a "C" channel shape. Hardtops lacked this support. The extra plate did not always appear to be welded in position to actually provide additional support? :wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340challconvert

Challenger vert rocker reinforcement plate
(thanks to Gavin)

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cuda hunter

If your not looking to make it like an original you might look over on CC.com for a guy named JesusHChrysler. 
he has a 72 that he converted but I don't think he put the actual top on it.  Just kept it as a full time vert.

Just to mention.  I'm looking for a complete parts car 70 challenger close to C09 date. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

As a buddy back in the 80's said. "I've got a Sawzall & an Awesome Raincoat........LOL.... 

Subframe Connectors & Torque Boxes  plus the door wedges is fine.... The door wedges prevent the door & quarter panel hammering into each other... The door & quarter can separate but they can't come together.... Fact is driving down the road they cause the gap between the door & quarter to stay wider then normal cause anytime the body flexes the wedge pushed further & doesn't allow the gap to return to it's normal width...

Then you gotta figure out how to dress up the windshield header & the cutout in the back...  If you have skills with fiberglass I've seen the rear trimmed out as a roadster like below..

anlauto

There are "kits" available and I'm pretty sure Ken is a member here  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on October 06, 2019, 08:00:22 PM
There are "kits" available and I'm pretty sure Ken is a member here  :dunno:

It would be cheaper to buy a real convertible...