Main Menu

10 muscle cars that are actually terrible. What do you think ?

Started by Purepony, November 23, 2020, 11:12:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Saw this list. Just wanted to share and see what you guy thought

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/popular-muscle-cars-actually-terrible/

I wasn't round when there cars where new but did they really handle as bad as they say ?

HP2

If viewed from the modern context of pure handling prowess and power per cubic inch as a result of factory forced induction, then yes they are pretty overrated in their stone stock form and may appear to be terrible.  However, taken in the context of the times preceding them and the era from which they came, they were shockingly fast, handled reasonably well, and  were quite popular as a result.

Apply the same computerized suspension analysis and correction and add forced induction methods to these cars, and their ability to be fire breathing beast capable of outrunning the devil will then be on par with late model comparisons.

I can still recall when I converted my '68 Road Runner from standard oil shocks to gas charged shocks around 1983. The difference was pretty dramatic then and thing have only continued to evolve in shock technology. Springs, on the other hand are still the same. Coil, leaf, air, and torsion springs now are no different than they were then.

Engine dynamics as well as controls have continually evolved. The power coming out of a standard 5.7 V8 now is equal to and many times more easily obtained than it was from even the biggest  7+ liter engines of back in the day.

SgtSuperbird

Put into perspective, the late 60's - mid 70's was when power and speed were just beyond their infancy, if one wants to think of the beginning being in the 50s. That was a period of only 20-25 years of "technology". Since then, it's been 45-50 years of further development and technology. The technology evolves so quickly, as exampled by our computers, phones and even TVs, and what they can do. It's no surprise the cars have taken a gigantic leap!

About 10 years ago, I was talking to my Mopar neighbor, who works at Chrysler, and owns a few. I told him I was scoping an old Mopar again. His advice was "you've owned all these old Chrysler products - why not get something new? Comfort, great ride, AC, performance and good gas mileage - it doesn't get ANY better than that." I took his advice and waited for the 2011 Inaugural Edition 392 Challenger to come out. I was not disappointed! Style, performance and comforts. Wow.

Since that time I've expanded my little collection. My everyday vehicle is a RAM, my summer car is a '15 sublime Shaker Challenger, but I still gotta have that old technology sitting in my garage. There's nothing more cool than to drive around in 1970 Dodge and Plymouth metal!!

7212Mopar

Modern uni-body cars is so much more stiffer than the old. Just look at the amounts of robotic welds that go into a new car vs the spot welds the old car are made of. Modern cars are also much safer but added more weight for safety and convivences. My new SRT is so heavy and I feel every single pound of that thing when driving. The old cars in the 60s and 70s are not terrible and it was the way technology were at that time. The bad cars were the Vegas and Pintos and anything GM made in the 80s. The K cars were fairly reliable for what they are.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 23, 2020, 12:45:13 PM
Modern uni-body cars is so much more stiffer than the old. Just look at the amounts of robotic welds that go into a new car vs the spot welds the old car are made of. Modern cars are also much safer but added more weight for safety and convivences. My new SRT is so heavy and I feel every single pound of that thing when driving. The old cars in the 60s and 70s are not terrible and it was the way technology were at that time. The bad cars were the Vegas and Pintos and anything GM made in the 80s. The K cars were fairly reliable for what they are.

I thought the 78-87 GM G-Body's were pretty good cars . Malibu, Monte Carlo, Regal, Grand Prix, Lemans, Cutlass.... I've owned a few of them , served me well. I put over 500K on a 81 Malibu I owned  for 12 years.   The front wheel drive GM cars were horrible though IMO. The wife owned a 87 Dodge Omni..... horrible car every other weekend I was fixing that turd. Sort of jokingly I told her I wasn't marring her till she got rid of that thing. LOL
IMO, The 80's was not Mopar's best era for sure. Trucks were ok.

RUNCHARGER

We'll see if these modern S-boxes hold their own for 30 years like our muscle era cars did. Me thinks not and they still look great too.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

One of the biggest improvements is just the tire tech , no comparison between a V or Z rated tire to a bias ply Good Year . the Mopars had decent suspension for the day & can corner well over 1 G with out redesigning the suspension

Joegrapes

Pretty much every muscle car of that time should be on that list. Back then we didn't have anything to compare them to so they all seemed pretty awesome. You just can't compare them to modern cars. We've all heard the saying "they don't make cars like they use to" well after rebuilding my car from the ground up, every nut and bolt, I say "THANK GOD!"  But are modern cars as sexy looking? I don't think so!

SgtSuperbird

Modern S-boxes? Hmmmm....

I absolutely love my old MOPARs, but I can remember my '72 Dart and my '73 Barracuda already having a bad case of cancer by 1979. That same year, I bought a fully restored '69 Bee - fully restored cuz the quarters were gone. I also remember my family's '66 Coronet dissolving into a rust pile by the early '70s. So, that thought about how modern cars will hold up, I guess it depends if you live in the rust belt or not.

RUNCHARGER

No, I think it will depend on how long they service the elecronics in these cars. We all know how good our computers work when they are 10 years old.
Sheldon

SgtSuperbird

My point was just that, depending on where you lived, our old cars didn't hold up so well! LoL

JH27N0B

I bought my T/A in high school at the start of a real bad winter.  I quickly learned it was all but unusable for my daily driving needs.
A modern Challenger would do just fine.

Burdar

Just a phishing article whose only purpose is to lead people to click on the link and generate more revenue for the website.  Looks like it worked.

JS29

For a while car's and truck's were holding up better as far as rot go's. but now it is just as bad as it used to be. I love the foam they use, the metal can't get any thinner. and as Sheldon pointed out, All the electronics they have. I don't see any 80's Honda Civics being restored.  :alan2cents: 

torredcuda

Most of these articles written by "Car and Driver" types are a joke. They dis the best and most iconic cars of the muscle era by comparing the to cars todays standards. I don`t waste my time reading them.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/