Main Menu

10 muscle cars that are actually terrible. What do you think ?

Started by Purepony, November 23, 2020, 11:12:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

I guess they could do a skid pad and drag race comparison between a 1970 car and a 1920 car while they're at it. Gee, I wonder how close they would be to each other?
Sheldon

JH27N0B

The truth is that almost all cars and trucks from the 60s were terrible compared to today.  Handling, braking and comfort were at a far lower level than they are today.  I remember getting a '95 Ram 1500 to replace my '79 Bronco and even the difference between driving the new Ram and a well optioned truck 16 years older was night and day.
At least here in the snow belt, I can't imaging what it was like trying to use a musclecar for a daily driver in the 60s.  Years ago, I worked at a shop where one of my coworkers told me he bought a new Superbee in '69.  The first day it snowed, he backed out of the driveway and tried to accelerate but the car just sat there and spun the tires.  He quickly traded it in on a new Toronado as he decided he had to have front wheel drive!

TGGodfrey

you need to keep in mind though, they had actual snow tires in the 60/70's, not the shitty little water treading "snow tires" we have now.

JH27N0B

I remember before my driving days, my parents having studded snow tires for their cars.  Even with those it was easy to get stuck in snow with rwd cars.  They must have been banned here in IL sometime in the mid 70s?
But there were so many other features common or standard today that we take for common.  Rear window defrosters were an uncommon option, small mirrors often drivers side only, electronic fuel injection, and disc brakes are another option then that is standard now that we all take for granted.
For those that live in dryer and warmer climates, these features aren't as beneficial, but here in the snowbelt driving an average car in winter 50 years ago must have been a nightmare compared to driving modern cars!

Mr Lee

Yeah but it really doesn't take a lot to vastly improve what was lacking. A quicker ratio steering box, fast ratio steering arms like on the T/A and AAR, thicker sway bars and torsion bars...   
IF Chrysler had provided just these 3 or 4 simple things on all their cars I think they could've had a big edge. 
Oh and the power steering pumps were just too damn strong. No road feel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Purepony

I drove a 2010 and a 2019 mustang. One was a gt and the other was a roush stage 3.

Honestly it still felt pretty primitive compared to other cars. I would like to drive a bone stock superbird just to see the drive, the feel and the overall experience

Most of the cars I have drive pretty stiff because of the low pro tires

floorit426

You could say the same about anything. Look at aviation, for example. While today's cars are pretty awesome, they lack the visceral experience and style of older cars. I doubt you'll be seeing a Tesla or Prius, on the lawn at Pebble Beach, anytime soon. I definitely don't keep my car around for it's comfort, or reliability!

FF376

I once let a guy ride in my A66 who had a new Challenger. He said it was cool but the new one was better in every way. He did say the old one felt faster as it was noisy and very mechanical but he was sure the new one would beat it. I told him probably so, but the old one could transport me back in time to when things were simpler in life at least for me. The important thing is that every time I get out of it I feel better than when I got in It and I'm not sure many new vehicles (that I can afford) can do that....

jimynick

"The important thing is that every time I get out of it I feel better than when I got in It and I'm not sure many new vehicles (that I can afford) can do that...."  Boy, ain't that the truth?! I actually feel kinda sorry for the dweeb that put this bitchfest together; he just doesn't get it and apparently, never will. That's his loss and who cares? I was in prime age when these cars came out and I remember them well. They were superior to the normal cars of their vintage and could thrill/scare the bejeezus out of you when they were called upon to do so. What's next, complaining that Curtiss Jenny doesn't do as well as a F35? Get a life buddy.  :looney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on November 24, 2020, 12:28:37 PM
"The important thing is that every time I get out of it I feel better than when I got in It and I'm not sure many new vehicles (that I can afford) can do that...."  Boy, ain't that the truth?! I actually feel kinda sorry for the dweeb that put this bitchfest together; he just doesn't get it and apparently, never will. That's his loss and who cares? I was in prime age when these cars came out and I remember them well. They were superior to the normal cars of their vintage and could thrill/scare the bejeezus out of you when they were called upon to do so. What's next, complaining that Curtiss Jenny doesn't do as well as a F35? Get a life buddy.  :looney:

Is it just me or does it seem that most new vehicles (cars , truck are usually ok) are built for the Roloff family? I gotta move the seat back as far as it goes then tilt it back until my head doesn't hit the roof. Then there is the getting in and out of the darn things....I'm not that tall of a guy, just average 6 foot. I always feel like, God help ya if you get into an accident in one of these micro machines....  Million dollar idea is two telescoping rods , 4 lag bolts and a cordless drill and they can just bury ya in it when you wreck. Give me back the land yachts !  :)

Cudino

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 24, 2020, 06:43:06 AM
I guess they could do a skid pad and drag race comparison between a 1970 car and a 1920 car while they're at it. Gee, I wonder how close they would be to each other?
Extremely well said!  To that same point, why buy a new car today when it will just be obsolete 50 years from now?

I think one thing this article is missing, which is unique to our beloved era of musclecars, is how many years it took for automotive technology to catch up to the same levels we had in 1970.  Maybe 25 years, or even 30?  That's a huge amount of time for a generation of cars to be top dogs, a milestone that never happened before and will surely never happen again.

- Wade

Purepony

I mainly posted the article because it had more mopars from what I saw. I was suprised I really thought it would have been more Buick's or Cadillac's