Main Menu

1970 Challenger T/A JH23J0B281204

Started by Bossgold, August 28, 2021, 06:03:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Does anyone know about this car?  It was up at Mecum Indy 2015 with high bid of $ 95,000 but did not sell. I'm looking for the owner or previous info on the car or sellers

MoparCarGuy

Burnt orange leather interior. First T/A I have seen with that color. Barry Washington's site shows three optional leather colors: Burnt Orange, Tan, and Black. Leather seats also came with carpeted lower door panels which seem to be missing on this car.
Very rare combo on a T/A!

autoxcuda

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Brads70

Bossgold

So I will add this comment - Upon seeing this T/A in person, Pretty sure this interior is original to the car. The difference in color of HRK4 is more of a burgundy Orange.....compared to the re-pop Burnt Orange interiors that are more pumpkin in color. It would look great in a black car

JH27N0B

There was an orange with burnt orange interior  T/A at a Mecum auction here in the Chicago area in the 2008 or 2009 timeframe.  Sadly my pictures from that far back are mostly lost or disorganized to the extent I don't have access to any of it.
Might well be the same car, I've noticed over the years many cars show up at Mecum auctions over and over.
Some are owned by Mecum others just get resold regularly by collectors and brokers I suppose.

autoxcuda

I don't see a 12k original car. Unless it was always raced.

Good for you asking for history.

I'd sure want to see some proof of mileage and what the car looked like before this car was completely taken apart for restoration.

Colored leather seat inserts rarely look that good after 50 years. Just the exposure to air gets them wrinkled looking. Not a mileage deal, just exposure.

Look at the driver kick panel. You can see the black base material under where the restorer painted them burnt orange. That shouldn't rub that much with 12k miles. It may be a Palco aftermarket kick panel that doesn't fit as good as an OE one. And front and rear door panels match perfect... they look to be painted and might be repops too.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

70 Top Banana

Looks like a real nice car. I have never seen that color combination.

Smallblock340

Before the T/A went to Mecum Indy 2015, it was for sale at Hanksters, w/ mileage of 12.772.

See: https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=53176

I see that the car is now for sale at Fusion Motor Company:
https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/934/1970-dodge-challenger-t-a-340-six-pak

Awesome T/A! Great combo! :drooling:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

Bossgold

You are good! How did you find all this info? Yes its for sale at Fusion....I went and physically inspected the car.....so its supposedly has 12,821 miles on it now. Low options but does have power steering option 77 (not the T/A quick ratio). No Console, no rallye tach. Was interested in info and had some questions but Fusion won't let me speak to Consignor....they want to play intermediary

JH27N0B

You have to wonder why a 12,000 mile car got a full restoration (with a bunch of errors).

Bossgold

JH27NOB, So I went there cause I am interested in Buying a Go Mango 70 TA. Went and fully inspected everything....but as I was taking pictures and looking at the engine, the sales guy comes up and starts asking me what my intention is? I say to buy the car - potentially. He says you didn't buy the last one we had.....I said I wanted a Go mango and not a hemi orange and besides the previous car was listed at $ 120K. Sales Guy says, well my boss and myself don't like you taking pictures! I said Why? .....You have already posted every picture on your Fusion website. So then he made another comment and I asked about talking to the owner about missing parts.....Then it got heated and I said, "would you like me to Leave?".......sales guy says yes ....leave.

Ok, grabbed my book, my pen walked past another customer who heard everything and I left. If it was my car and I was the Consignor I would be pissed that this is how I am being represented. I would pull the car. And yes there are many questions here but like one that has already been asked....why a restoration if it has 12,821 miles on it?

71vert340

Bossgold, I understand why you left that place. If I had questions and they didn't want me asking them, then something is up with that car. The one thing that jumped out at me in the trunk is why are the shock access plugs body color. Mine are dull galvanized. I'm sure you found other things and I know some places like that don't want you looking too closely at the car. At least you won't have buyers remorse if it's not what it was represented to be.
Terry W.

Bossgold

Terry, I believe strongly in Karma and doing the right thing. Ryan, the other Employee is a super person...Very nice guy. He was stunned when this happen cause he was trying to help the other customer as well as address my questions. I printed out the Build Sheet on this car and marked it up for Ryan so He could see how the car was built. The other sales guy kept harping on its rare leather Seat option. SO!, there are no other options on this car other than regular power steering....so seller wants $ 119K? BTW, the base is fiberglass, the master cylinder is wrong, alternator is wrong, door panels are re-pops, Drivers door decal has a scratch, Distributor is electronic ignition, Exhaust Manifolds are 340 HP's with outward facing castings, there is no PS Cooler, No DR111429, Pressure Plate is a B&B and needs to be looked at,  etc. My point, at $ 119K the car should be near perfect.

headejm

Quote from: autoxcuda on August 29, 2021, 09:45:32 AM
I don't see a 12k original car. Unless it was always raced.

:iagree:

P.S. The interior is rare and cool but black interior would look much better on that car. :alan2cents: