Main Menu

1970 Plymouth Barracuda

Started by MasonDaniel7, March 16, 2019, 12:20:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Perfect car to lose $$ on , the start price is too high for a car that needs everything & the end value is too low once it is completed to recover the investment , looks like a lot of missing parts too

70 Challenger Lover

I was thinking it was a fair price for what appear to be a mostly rust free and straight Cuda 4 speed. Hard to imagine finding a highly desirable car like this for a lot less. If potential buyers look at the total investment cost of restoration compared to the value when finished then nearly every project could be considered a losing investment. The only way to ever come out okay money wise is to buy a restored car and let someone else take the loss.

76orangewagon

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on March 16, 2019, 04:58:31 AM
I was thinking it was a fair price for what appear to be a mostly rust free and straight Cuda 4 speed. Hard to imagine finding a highly desirable car like this for a lot less. If potential buyers look at the total investment cost of restoration compared to the value when finished then nearly every project could be considered a losing investment. The only way to ever come out okay money wise is to buy a restored car and let someone else take the loss.

I agree  :takemymoney:

RUNCHARGER

They're getting hard to find but yeah by the time you buy the metal for it you'll be so far behind you'll think you're in first place. Then the metal is one thing but then all the parts you're going to need will peg the old stress meter. I hope it gets saved of course but it will have to be a guy that does all his own work and already owns most of the parts it will need.
Sheldon

CudamanTom

That's not a 1970 dash pad. So what else is not being mentioned?
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 16, 2019, 08:13:47 AM
They're getting hard to find but yeah by the time you buy the metal for it you'll be so far behind you'll think you're in first place. Then the metal is one thing but then all the parts you're going to need will peg the old stress meter. I hope it gets saved of course but it will have to be a guy that does all his own work and already owns most of the parts it will need.

I don't disagree with any of this. Restoration is expensive on 50 year old cars. I was simply pointing out that so many of us assess value based on what we will have into it when we are done and it's really not fair or reasonable to look at it this way. This car will be worth about $50k if restored nicely. Even if this car had all the parts in good condition and the body had no rust or other damage, a person might spend $40-50k on a quality restoration. So looking at it from an investment standpoint, the finest clean barnfind projects out there must sell for no more than 10k or preferably free so that you will never be upside down. If it was only a dollars and cents equation then only six pack and hemi cars would ever be saved. Our cars have become so valuable that junky stuff is all that's left out there. And the junky stuff now changes hands for big money.

This is an expensive hobby we are in but it is a hobby, not a business. And like every other hobby, you always lose money to participate. There are many who wisely buy completed cars because it's much cheaper, easier and faster and there's nothing wrong with that. But there are also folks who love the challenge of restoring something most people can't or won't bother with. And those of us dumb enough to take on projects like this one accept that they will be losing money in the end.

CudamanTom

For me, I can't afford $50k all at once without taking out a huge loan, then making payments for 5 years.  :takemymoney:
So I prefer to buy a cheaper one, invest in it the next 5 years while restoring it  :wrenching:
The difference is flexibility on spending, having fun, learning things and meetings great friends in forums.  :grouphug:

Oh, then there's the bragging rights of saying, "yep, I built that":ohyeah:
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)

RUNCHARGER

For sure: I get it alright. I see this as better than getting a 72 318 car in the same shape for $10k less too. As long as the buyer knows what's what going in is all. I have built dozens of cars and for me there isn't enough here for the price. If I had a complete Cuda interior and decent 383, 4 speed setup in the garage I might think about it.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I can't speak for the rest of the world but in so cal, prices have just gotten stupid. I browse Facebook marketplace a lot for stuff within driving distance and any hunk of crap older than 1980 is considered a highly collectible classic. Kills me to see people selling pintos asking 7k for them simply because it's old. No joke either, I never ever find cars that are a super good value. The best I find is fair pricing but usually it's sky high. I just checked out a junky 71 Cuda and even though the price was not astronomical, it needed so much and was missing so much that it just wasn't worth it. I do my own metal work now and it still wasn't worth it.

HP_Cuda

The question really comes down to this: How under water do you want to be?

:)
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200