Main Menu

71 cuda EV2 N96 J81

Started by cuda dad, January 22, 2018, 10:22:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Yup, one of our members owns that cool cuda now and the ad is looking to scam someone.  :verymad:

RzeroB

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 22, 2018, 10:47:39 PM
Yup, one of our members owns that cool cuda now and the ad is looking to scam someone.  :verymad:

Yup. Craigslist can't be trusted anymore. You have to be real careful and practice due diligence when you tread there.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Why doesn't somebody just call the guy ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Hate when this happens . . . scammers suck!   :pullinghair:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RzeroB

Quote from: anlauto on January 23, 2018, 10:11:10 AM
Why doesn't somebody just call the guy ?

Simple ... you can't. Scam friendly anonymous Craigslist email response only in the reply dialog box.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

So what does it really hurt ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

I just emailed the guy.  I will let you in on what he says.  I hate dirt bags.

E74cuda

I know someone local to me that replied about this car through CL and ended up with an infected computer. He's since found out that supposedly some of the scams on CL are meant to infect your computer. Contacting adds with a phone number is best.

RzeroB

Quote from: E74cuda on January 25, 2018, 08:35:17 AM
I know someone local to me that replied about this car through CL and ended up with an infected computer. He's since found out that supposedly some of the scams on CL are meant to infect your computer. Contacting adds with a phone number is best.

I believe a lot of these "anonymous replies" on Craigslist are suspect. Craigslist originally set it up that way to protect the seller but it has flip-flopped now in favor of the scammer. I don't think that they are deliberately trying to "infect" your computer as much as they are for spamming "phishing" and "pharming". They want your email address so they can push some spam to you and they want your computers IP address so they can direct ad traffic to you ... or worse. A lot of that junk they direct to you is what is infected and if you open any of it up you risk releasing the malware inside. Of course the worst case is "data mining" where once they have your email address and IP address they attempt to "mine" your personal data and take you to the cleaners. Like E74cuda, ads with phone numbers and a name are okay, but I don't touch those anonymous ones anymore.
Cheers!
Tom

nsmall

All good points and ideas.  It just drives me nuts to think some dirt bag is going to potentially take a deposit and screw someone over.

PS, I emailed the guy and said I really badly wanted to come check it out, no response.

Crocha617

Quote from: nsmall on January 25, 2018, 08:14:10 PM
All good points and ideas.  It just drives me nuts to think some dirt bag is going to potentially take a deposit and screw someone over.

PS, I emailed the guy and said I really badly wanted to come check it out, no response.
Write him back and tell him you'll take it and ask how you can get him a deposit. I bet he'll answer.