Main Menu

74 Cuda - YIKES !

Started by anlauto, May 21, 2019, 05:57:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I have no idea what the ad says.....but this is the ABSOLUTE WORST place to section a new quarter panel in  :alan2cents:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/gatineau/74-plymouth-cuda-bs23/1435619598?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true&siteLocale=en_CA
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Missed by about 4". I guess that's why he gave up. At least you can cut it off and start over. Hopefully he didn't screw up the door jam but probably did.

HP_Cuda

French Canadians....

Bon Chance!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

oldmoparbuff

Would this create warpage in the panel due to no support
Should the seam have bee closer to top edge? or body line?
On top edge or just below top edge?

anlauto

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on May 22, 2019, 10:27:51 AM
Would this create warpage in the panel due to no support
Should the seam have bee closer to top edge? or body line?
On top edge or just below top edge?

If you're not doing a full quarter, it's at least better to go over the top edge. Have your weld seam on the horizontal flat surface on top of the quarter not anywhere on the side of the car. However BONDO can fix anything  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda70-74

If your a good bodyman you can fix it. Hammer and dolly can go along why. I've seen people do patches in different section of quarter panel and they made it work.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on May 22, 2019, 01:40:33 PM
If your a good bodyman you can fix it. Hammer and dolly can go along why. I've seen people do patches in different section of quarter panel and they made it work.

Yes, but why ? Why weld it there in the first place ?

JS29

If you know what you are doing, cut it off with a cut-off wheel,use an air flange tool, precisely cut and fit the panel. take the majority of the day to weld, and another to grind, it can be done. my mothers nova quarters came like this. and to top it off, the door jam area wasn't right. so I had to cut it at the bend and weld it vertically.  :alan2cents:   

Cuda70-74

Quote from: anlauto on May 22, 2019, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: Cuda70-74 on May 22, 2019, 01:40:33 PM

Yes, but why ? Why weld it there in the first place ?
He thought it was a great idea til the  :bricks: came down and it backed fired
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger