Main Menu

e bay fees

Started by blown motor, April 15, 2020, 11:55:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

If I buy on ebay am I assessed ebay fees?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JS29

Not that i an aware of.  :popcorn:

Burdar

In the US you are only charged fees as a "seller".  No fees as a buyer.  However, laws were changed recently and people in the US are now charged "tax" on all purchases.  I think that started this year.  Up until then there were no taxes collected(by E-bay) on anything purchased on E-bay.  Canada may have their own laws.

Shoooter

@anlauto do you know if canada does charge tax? What about if the part is from the states and sent to Canada?

BIGSHCLUNK

Yes we are seeing tax from certain states on the shop's ebay store account, but not from all (so far)   :notsure: You shouldn't have any for being a buyer...

anlauto

It's been years since I bought something from eBay, but YES everything crossing the border is subject to tax....I think eBay now has this thing where the seller ships it to a processing plant, that place handles all the fees then sends it to Canada. I'm pretty sure now you have to pay everything up front, but like I said....I don't like eBay all that much, so I never use it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

The ultimate customer (the buyer) pay's the sales tax here in America. So now if i buy a part for a customer and pay a sales tax it's double taxed, because it's a lot of paper work to separate it. NY charges tax on parts, labor, and services. So every thing is subject to sales tax.  :headbang:

blown motor

The item I'm interested in is in Quebec but it and the shipping is listed in US dollars. Also looks like international shipping cost is listed which "shouldn't" apply to me. Trying to figure out what this will cost me by the time it's all done.

Brads70

Stuff coming to Canada ebay nails us with the usual taxes but ADDs more than we would usually pay. Which makes me mad! Ebay actually makes even more on the transaction! 

jimynick

Murray, if you know it's in Quebec, why not contact the seller direct and have it shipped in country, or by Can Post?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

benlavigne

Quote from: blown motor on April 15, 2020, 03:04:37 PM
The item I'm interested in is in Quebec but it and the shipping is listed in US dollars. Also looks like international shipping cost is listed which "shouldn't" apply to me. Trying to figure out what this will cost me by the time it's all done.

Sounds like you are getting somethingfrom Sylvain?
You  can ask privately for the transaction to be done outside of eBay... He saves the fees... might pass some savings to you.

Ben

blown motor

Ya I was thinking of that. Auction ends Friday. I could get outbid and then it all wouldn't matter.

70 Challenger Lover

I just bought a couple things on eBay and you definitely get charged tax as a buyer. Up until last year, only certain sellers added tax in and only if they were a real business.

I stopped selling because ebay and PayPal hit you for around 13% total and then shipping costs have gone up so much in the past few years. Sure you can make the buyer pay shipping but then they factor that in and bid lower so it's the same either way. The shipping company oftentimes makes more than I can as a seller after all is said and done.

Brads70

Quote from: benlavigne on April 15, 2020, 03:34:41 PM
Quote from: blown motor on April 15, 2020, 03:04:37 PM

Sounds like you are getting somethingfrom Sylvain?
You  can ask privately for the transaction to be done outside of eBay... He saves the fees... might pass some savings to you.

Ben

I've bought parts form him before. No troubles, nice parts!  :bradsthumb:

SW mopar

I can answer this.  If he is listing in USD on ebay he would have to have a US mailing address to make the account on ebay.com. As such there is no canadian domestic shipping option on ebay because it is assuming your in the US. So it is classified as international shipping because the ebay account holder address is within the US, though you can put the item location to a Canadian city.

As for the taxes, If he is a business and has a registered HST # then he would be required to collect taxes based on the province and remit to the government. In your case he would need to collect HST on the purchase

US customers using ebay are getting accustom to this now, since the South Dakota v Wayfair trial went in favor of the state of SD. Now all states are using that ruling to make third and first party websites like ebay, amazon, wayfair, summitracing who have more than 200k sales in to a specific state collect state sales tax and remit to that state to curb sale tax evasion via purchasing out of state