Main Menu

Got a call about a rust free Challenger for sale...

Started by Cuda Cody, May 25, 2017, 01:53:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

A buddy called and said one of his customers (who was standing in front of him) had a 1972 Challenger for sale.  Hands the phone to him and he tells me it's a 1972 340 RT all rust free.  He gives me his home address and I jump in the car to go look at it.  The photo of the fender tag didn't tun out, but here's the rest of the photos.  He wants $14,500.  The car was truly a very clean vehicle and almost no rust.  But the drivers door and drivers quarter panel had been replaced.  It was originally FE5 red with stripe.  Could not see if the engine was numbers, but the auto had been swapped for a 4 speed. 

What's it worth?

Cuda Cody

He said there was a build sheet in the rear seat that he did not take out.  I saw one behind the glove box too.

ec_co

just me, but even if the engine #s don't match it is a fair asking price since it mostly rust free. what does everyone love to say? 'a rust free body is worth a lot more'. yeah its a '72 and not as sought after, but the '72-'74s have started to appreciate a little more and getting a solid body to start with is huge. A/C is nice too. looks like a solid builder for someone
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

HP_Cuda

I'd say he's in the ballpark for the condition.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

71GranCoupe

Few things stick out, butchered switch corner, 70 door sticker, 73 and up pedals, 14.5k tops, maybe more like 12k,  :notsure:

anlauto

When things have been painted, it's hard to tell if they're rust free
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Car looks fairly complete and I'd leave the 4 speed in. I think $12k would be fine, $14.5k is probably okay but less is better. Sure there will be surprises but it doesn't have that crusty, ugly eastern coast look at all.
Sheldon

Moparman82

I think he is right on the money.  Guy here locally sold his 72 340 4 spd for 14k, and it was a rusty SOB, i sold my 73 non running frankenstein of chally for 11.5k.  Id say 14.5 is fair, 12 or less is a deal.
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

cuda dad

I am not a Challenger expert by any means but I am pretty sure R/T's were 1970-71 only.  1972 was the only year that a 2DR Rallye Hardtop was called out in the VIN, indicated by the serial number beginning with JS23.  Later years it was a Trim Code.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 25, 2017, 01:53:45 PM
A buddy called and said one of his customers (who was standing in front of him) had a 1972 Challenger for sale. 

How much for the orange '70?   :pokeeye:

erik70rt

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I think someone had KC lights on it at some point.   :notsure:

Quote from: erik70rt on June 09, 2017, 09:13:51 AM
What is that switch on the dash?

1 Wild R/T

Three people have commented about a switch... Am I blind... I only see where a POS clock got stuck on the woodgrain... What switch?

erik70rt

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 09, 2017, 09:56:11 AM

Three people have commented about a switch... Am I blind... I only see where a POS clock got stuck on the woodgrain... What switch?

On the switch panel.  If that's what you are looking at, it's not a clock.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.