Main Menu

No Power Steering on E-Body

Started by Mark_B, October 25, 2018, 01:56:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

I think it's what you get used to driving. I traded my panther pink 383 4 speed manual steering Cuda for my AAR in 76. It's an auto with manual steering originally. A friend let me drive his TA with power steering and a 4 speed. I loved it. I swapped my auto for a stick and bought a TA quick ratio power steering box and have never been happier. I think the skinny  bias ply tires of the 70 were fine with manual steering. I drove my buds Hemi Cuda and could not stand the manual steering. I've worked on A 70 Challenger 440 stick that we had a rebuilt box. It must have a later version because it had less assist. It felt odd to me. Like the old power steering with the big radial tires of today.

CudaMoparRay

I'm with the manual steering and no power brakes crowd. I find it to be more in touch with my car.
However, it is mostly a garage queen out once a month or so, so if it was a daily driver then yes would seriously consider changing to power everything.
Depends on how much you use it to me.

HP2

Quote from: redgum78 on October 26, 2018, 09:34:11 PM
A lot of castor angle will add to the steering effort. The higher the castor angle the more the vehicles weight tries to force the wheels back to center. This is great for high speed stability but means you are fighting against that weight at low speed turns.

If you have lots of caster angle you might be able to have that reduced a bit.

For myself, I want my caster as high as I can get it.  Using power steering, I prefer the higher effort, return to center, and stability aspects of it. If you are running radials, you are leaving performance on the table by using stock specs.  If you have bias plys, then you  should be use the OEM alignment tables.

I'd also add that I have ditched the stock PS pump for a Sweet Mfg race unit (lower pressure), have a Firm Feel Stage box, and combined with high caster angles, it feels nothing like a vintage mopar at all and instead is like driving a late model.

70/6chall

I believe I subscribe to the same club of manual steering as Ray and Mark. My base model SL6 ''70 Challenger is manual steering and manual drum brakes on all 4 corners. Due to the weight factor in front has a lot to do with the way my car handles compared to a V8 car. It has always handled well even with 60 series radial tires.  Thanks,   Al