Main Menu

CUDA 1970 original power steering Firm Feel stage 3 VS Borgeson power steering

Started by THE ZUKE, November 11, 2018, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MOPAR MITCH

The Federal ps pump will work.... but its no good for any "performance" orientated driving where you use rapid LRLRLR manuevers, and its worse with higher rpms.  Literally, the power assist goes away.   Stay with the proven Saginaw unit and enjoy your driving without worries.

FSHTAIL

I was talking with Peter Bergman from Bergman Auto Craft and he said the Borgeson box needs more than what the federal pump can put out, Borgeson dials in the Saginaw pump specifically for the Borgeson... 

You would have to go with something else if you're going to run your power steering and hydroboost
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

MOPAR MITCH

Additionally, I'd suggest to further talk with Peter from Bergman... he's a Mopar guy and sells the Borgenson ps boxes, plus the correct column adapter that he developed.... as well as Saginaw pumps.   Forget about a Federal pump.. they are not performance orientated (despite being put onto the cars by MaMopar for performance vehicles... they should've tested them first for performance driving.. and they probably simply got a better $ deal to purchase the Federal pumps back then (IMO).

7212Mopar

That is $165 for Peter's version PS pump and looks like pulley is not included. It also looks different from the stock Signaw pump. I wonder if a smaller diameter pulley on a stock pump might do the trick? My pump seems to work fine other than the squeak during parking.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 7212Mopar on February 07, 2020, 12:44:01 PM
That is $165 for Peter's version PS pump and looks like pulley is not included. It also looks different from the stock Signaw pump. I wonder if a smaller diameter pulley on a stock pump might do the trick? My pump seems to work fine other than the squeak during parking.

You're not doing mods like these if you're worried about originality.
Function.   

I bought the new pump, pulley, everything needed to make this 100% bolt up.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)