Main Menu

NOS quarter panel - 70/71 challenger $3000

Started by BFM_Cuda, May 31, 2020, 08:26:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BFM_Cuda

Not cheap, but you don't see these very often....

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/dousman-dodge-challenger-nos-quarter/7131101475.html

1970/ 1971 DODGE CHALLENGER NOS right rear quarter panel. The part number is still stamped on the inside of the panel. There is light surface rust from years of storage. If you have ever tried to install an aftermarket quarter panel on a high end car you know how desirable NOS sheetmetal is. Price is $3000. Phone calls only please. I will not ship this panel.

jimynick

IMHO, for those with more money than brains. Anybody in the position of replacing a 1/4 panel can get a quality A/M panel to fit and for the approx. $2500 difference, buy themselves enough beer to make any efforts in that direction, fade into the distance. :cheers:   I've put on more than a few oem 1/4's in my day and not one ever fell into place. They all wanted/needed tweaking to fit 100% and then there's the blatant gouging aspect here. To me, it gives the hobby a bad name and leaves a bad taste in my mouth due to greed and avarice, but then, that's just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cudamadd

Its a funny thing when some one can ask what ever price they want  for NOS stuff couple of different ways at looking at it .  I have a mate here in Australia who has a hood a pair of doors and one fender All NOS for a 1970 ford Torino he has had these parts for many years ,But the thing is he will never use them he hangs them. up on the shed wall so he can look at them .strange guy he likes fixing the bent panels and tells me the panels  :dunno: :dunno:  on the wall will not be moved , why some would do this I have no idea . Some times people will buy NOS parts just to say what they have .For me if  are watching your $$$$ the after market ones will do just my 2 cents

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Value is all gone as soon as you touch a welder to it or sand it for epoxy anyway. The AMD stuff is good enough for a lowlife like me I figure.
Sheldon

cudamadd

For me at the end of the day ,The panels are primed and painted and fits good Who would know or care if it was an NOS panel or not

Tunis

Well, there are two obvious differences between the aftermarket panels and an OEM panel; the OEM panel is of a much higher quality steel and is considerably stiffer and it has sharper bends. But I have heard that the NOS panels may be assembly line discarded products due to bad fit. Is it worth $2500 to get a higher quality steel in the car, maybe for some, but for most people it isn't. Most people don't have original hemi cars either.

Flatdad

My car had a quarter replaced with an NOS one at some point, the number stamping matches the quarter I pulled off my car. Just as an FYI for anyone considering this...

anlauto

One day he may have had people lined up to buy that for $3000, but that ship has sailed nowadays with the introduction of AMD sheet metal...I think he'd be lucky to get half that now.....maybe if he waits long enough, the AMD ones will go NLS and there will be a market for these again...

BEFORE AMD's panel....if there was 100 guys looking for this part, I would bet that 98 of them would settle for reproduction leaving only 2 that would insist on NOS....they're still out there, so this seller just needs to find those two guys...and start a bidding war :bigmoney: :yes:

I think my friend Glenn still has a pair of these too :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: Tunis on June 01, 2020, 05:13:45 AM
....But I have heard that the NOS panels may be assembly line discarded products due to bad fit....

This is 100% true. I worked in a stamping plant for 18 years, we very rarely threw anything out...if it was defective, it was regarded as "service" at sent to a different plant. They prepped them for over the counter replacement parts.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mopartaz

I have an aquaintance with a 72 duster that bought all n.o.s. front sheetmetal for his car. He had Circus Customs in NJ to do the paint/body.  I think this was the 3rd Circus re-paint but i lost track. these guys went nuts trying to make it fit. Apparently all factory seconds. I think they had to stretch the fenders. Of course there wasnt anything wrong with the original sheetmetal to begin with,but he had to have n.o.s. Well when you have $100k into a duster .....

anlauto

Quote from: mopartaz on June 01, 2020, 07:29:21 AM
I have an aquaintance with a 72 duster that bought all n.o.s. front sheetmetal for his car. He had Circus Customs in NJ to do the paint/body.  I think this was the 3rd Circus re-paint but i lost track. these guys went nuts trying to make it fit. Apparently all factory seconds. I think they had to stretch the fenders. Of course there wasnt anything wrong with the original sheetmetal to begin with,but he had to have n.o.s. Well when you have $100k into a duster .....

$100K Duster sounds like Jim Penta .... :haha:

I bought an NOS Duster fender once too, the entire headlight area was welded on completely crooked, off by almost an inch :pullinghair:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: NOS sheetmetal parts generally need work anyway. I always had better luck with original used but they just aren't around anymore.
Sheldon

mopartaz

anlauto

Quote from: mopartaz on June 01, 2020, 08:10:33 AM
Mopar Magic  :dunno:

Oh I know Joe too....Super nice guy ! He just brought that car back out to Carlisle last year for the first time in years... :bigthumb: