Main Menu

Quarter Panel Panel Bond and Weld Locations

Started by Dmod1974, December 31, 2019, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

Figured I'd start a separate thread for this question....  I'm getting closer to installing a full AMD quarter and would like to get opinions on where to weld and where panel bond would be better.  I've read the general quarter installation how to but it doesn't go into any detail other than saying you can glue or weld.  After thinking about it, I don't think there is any way to glue the ENTIRE panel - some welding must be done for certain areas.

Here's where my head is at; lemme know if it's on backwards please!

WELD:

1/4 to roof skin and roof structure (area gets leaded)
1/4 to window gutter
1/4 to trunk gutter/decklid filler corner
1/4 to tail panel
1/4 to rocker pinch weld flange
1/4 to rocker bottom and side ( this area gets leaded just like the roof joint, surely panel bond won't work here?)
1/4 to window weatherstrip retainer
trunk gutter corner to decklid filler
trunk gutter corner to tail panel

PANEL BOND:

1/4 to door jamb pillar
1/4 to wheel house
1/4 to trunk extension bottom and side
1/4 to trunk gutter flange
1/4 to decklid filler

Can anybody confirm if the quarter was spot welded to the outer rocker bottom (NOT the pinch weld flange but the bottom with the rain hole in it) from the factory?

Also, does anybody have pictures of the 1/4 window weatherstrip retainer bracket?  I have to repair and reinstall mine since it was previously hacked during a collision repair.  Appreciate the help!

jimynick

Actually, you can bond the whole damn thing- if you want to. BUT, I'd weld it at the roof and around the wheel well and rocker and put a few spots at the other junctions you mentioned with the bonding. The state of the art today is that some vehicles have major structural panels bonded only and you can be sure the OEMs don't want any misery, yet do so. DON'T try to spot weld through a bonding agent, as it can explode. There are some which allow spot welding through when still wet- read up on that. Be aware as well, of the working life of a bond kit, because some are as little as 15-20 minutes, so be sure your set-up is on the money FIRST. Sticky wicket, what?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dmod1974

Thanks!  I think I'll weld near the areas that will get leaded...  Not sure that the epoxy will withstand that and I'd hate to have it pop loose.  Should the underside of the quarter be butted up to the underside of the outer rocker with the drain holes?  Both sides of my car were so rotten I can't tell if they were welded together or if there was a gap.

Cuda Cody

Post a photo.

Also, before you weld anything make sure you have everything lined up. Install with metal screws the quarter panels, trunk, doors, fenders, hood and all other body panels.  Then when everything is lined up you can weld panels.

Dmod1974

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 03, 2020, 11:46:49 AM
Post a photo.

Also, before you weld anything make sure you have everything lined up. Install with metal screws the quarter panels, trunk, doors, fenders, hood and all other body panels.  Then when everything is lined up you can weld panels.

Yup, I had everything held in with sheet metal screws before I took it off to weld prime and strip for panel bonding, so I should be good to go.

Hopefully these pics convey what I'm talking about.  I know the quarter and rocker pinch weld flanges are welded together, but I'm not sure if the rocker bottom welds to the quarter panel section in front of the wheel well and behind the leaded joint as well. 

It's a weird area since it looks like it would be prone to collecting water and rotting no matter what you do.  If they aren't welded or bonded tightly together, water will inevitably get in between the panels there and sit, and if they are welded, you're blocking off the front drain hole from the drain notch in the pinch weld and probably still trapping water in there.  Solid design!

Dmod1974

Can anybody confirm if the bottom of the drain holed bottom of the rocker and the quarter panel are welded together from the factory, or just at the pinch weld?  The suspense is killing me!!!   :)

Also, the AMD quarters have a large hole in the top where the trunk gutter ends and where the trim would normally cover.  It's too large to be for the trim studs, and I haven't seen it anywhere else in pics of this area on the interwebs.  I was going to plug weld it unless someone much smarter than me can tell me what it is for and why I shouldn't...  No idea why this hole is in this panel.  As always, thanks in advance!

fireguyfire

I'm curious about this idea also as I am about to replace my passenger quarter with an AMD quarter.
What are the opinions out there in regards to mixed fastening methods, ie welding and panel bonding?

Dmod1974

Knowing that there are two joints that get filled with molten lead, I think it would be best to either weld the whole thing, or weld in the areas that will be exposed to that kind of heat.  I am doing the latter since I like the better sealing and rust proofing properties of panel bonding instead of just plug welding. 

Mixing is not an issue; that is how modern cars are built too.  Some areas are bonded, and some are spot welded.  Some are even spot welded or riveted through the panel bonded areas in critical areas for extra CYA.

Panel bond is incredibly strong when prepped and applied properly, but it cannot take MIG welding heat, and I highly doubt it can withstand lead melting temps either.  In fact, heat is how you separate and remove bonded panels.  Strength is not the issue at all; they even make a structural version that is OEM certified for use in high load areas like rocker panels, pillars, etc...

jimynick

I don't think welding the bottom of the 1/4 to the rocker is a great idea. As you note, there's a drain hole there where rain running down into the 1/4 tries to exit and if that small, close space is bunged, the rain has to go somewhere or form a pool that'll eventually run back into the interior of the car. Better to weld the 1/4 to the pinch weld after having sprayed some galvanize paint on those bare surfaces and then I'd have the car undercoated and make sure they get some down into that area to the point where it drips out. but then, that's just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Shoooter

Is there much prep for this? Seems like a good product

soundcontrol

I only did skins, but I plug welded the quarter to door jam, did not have any way to clamp it tight for panel bond.
I used panel bond to the quarter/wheelhouse and all around the trunk extension.
I have not done the quarter/rocker area yet.
Pictures in my resto thread.