Main Menu

Super low mile 1971 Challenger vert. original paint

Started by GrandpaKevin, July 02, 2019, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Being a 71 and a 318 auto....I would say in the $40K - $45K range. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Nice car...

Anyone ever seen an A/C condenser like that one before?  It has a 70 style high side line but instead of attaching directly to the condenser there's a length of hose, which I thought was going to attach like a 71 condenser but it doesn't do that either, it appears to attach on the lower left side... :notsure:

JS29

anlauto

Yea looks like the condenser was replaced with the wrong one and they just "made it fit" by adding a hose ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

The more I look the more "little" things I see that call the "original" claim into question... Still a nice car, but the story might be enhanced....

anlauto

I wonder how it got the woodgrain dash ? What package in 1971 would that come with ? I'm not saying it's wrong, just wondering how it would be coded :dunno:

mccannix

Thats not a space saver tire lurking under that cover.
Absence of bottle, bracket, hook ??....Unless were all removed early in life and they still have them.
Looks like the high trim package for 71 which would get you that woodgrain dash on a standard cluster
and the rear stainless hood/fender moldings which you can see it has, front valance aluminum inserts which it has, and top door and 1/4 moldings which it appears to have, hard to see.

autoxcuda

Quote from: mccannix on July 02, 2019, 06:47:17 PM
Absence of bottle, bracket, hook ??....Unless were all removed early in life and they still have them.
Looks like the high trim package for 71 which would get you that woodgrain dash on a standard cluster
and the rear stainless hood/fender moldings which you can see it has, front valance aluminum inserts which it has, and top door and 1/4 moldings which it appears to have, hard to see.

It not listed included in the A63 exterior trim package.

I'm thinking it's an interior option triggering it.

What triggered it in 1970 besides Western Sport Special?

My guess is leather or cloth seats or maybe clock.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: autoxcuda on July 02, 2019, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: mccannix on July 02, 2019, 06:47:17 PM

It not listed included in the A63 exterior trim package.

I'm thinking it's an interior option triggering it.

What triggered it in 1970 besides Western Sport Special?

My guess is leather or cloth seats or maybe clock.

Clock didn't, I've owed a few with clocks & the standard bezel...  I know WSS did & Barracda GC did beyond that nothing I can think of...  But I did have a wood grained bezel for a convertible, got it from Ed Briggs back in the early 90's, never used it & let it go around 2006

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 02, 2019, 04:18:09 PM
Yea looks like the condenser was replaced with the wrong one and they just "made it fit" by adding a hose ? :dunno:

I'm thinking it took a hit to the front.. Overspray on the both condenser brackets.... Also missing both A/C line clips at the radiator support..

And I'd sure like to see whats on the Two Fender Tags... 

The 70 style A/C line points to a very early 71, adding to that is the 70 style trunk shock access..

Whatever the story, it's a very nice car..

6bblgt

the wood-grain instrument surround (J64) was a $5.70 stand alone OPTION on '71 STANDARD gauge Challengers

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 02, 2019, 10:13:16 PM
the wood-grain instrument surround (J64) was a $5.70 stand alone OPTION on '71 STANDARD gauge Challengers

Cool! Nice upgrade..

6bblgt

no A63 package in '71, they did have a similar A46 moulding group (w/o the taillight finish panel)

wonder if it was a factory full size spare car when new  :dunno: but that trunk mat looks awful nice if it's an original ????  :unbelievable:

NO "WHITE" leather for '71 Challenger or Barracuda (or '70 Challenger for that matter) - so, that's vinyl

mccannix

I was always led to believe that all convertibles regardless of engine displacement came from factory with a B.F.Goodrich spacesaver tire, E or F-78-14