Main Menu

1970 Challenger Clutch Safety Switch

Started by plymouthbelvy, June 29, 2019, 07:55:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

plymouthbelvy

Hello.I have a 70 Challenger with 4 speed and it has the clutch safety switch. I bought it from a member here about a year ago and was rebuilt and looked brand new. I installed and had no issues and it worked perfect up until the past couple of months. I go to start my car and nothing. I cross over the relay and car starts right up. It may start the next time and several days and then it just wont start again and have to cross over relay.Its getting to be a pain to have to pop hood to get started. I have replaced starter,relay,positive battery cable and its still doing it randomly. Does this sound like the clutch safety switch? Is there a way to bypass it so car starts without it? If I could bypass it and car seems to start ok maybe I can solve my problem. Any thoughts? Anyway to bypass for now? Thanks.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: The switch just goes to ground when the clutch is shoved in. There is a relay on the fenderwell (near the battery) what you have to do is run a ground wire to the terminal on the relay that runs to the clutch switch.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Jim / Slotts can swap or rebuild it for you

plymouthbelvy

That's what I thought I could do.I made up a wire tonight and was going to try it in the morning.Thank you.

plymouthbelvy

plymouthbelvy

Hi again.I just looked at my clutch safety switch and the the little plastic loop and the push in plug that holds it on the clutch arm are missing. I bought one from Brewers and I guess it did not get put on for some reason during restoration. I see arm is only being pushed forward with the clutch arm.Would this be my issue? Not pushing it far enough forward on switch sometimes? I see with plastic loop I think it would possibly push it a little farther forward. Not sure why the restorer did not put on when I bought one for it. Any thoughts? Just FYI I had to cross relay over 5 times yesterday and I just went out and it started up 3 times just fine without having to cross over the starter relay.Makes no sense.Thanks for any input.

Chryco Psycho

yes you need all of he parts so it will work correctly

Slotts

Here's one from a Ford...  :lookatthat:

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Chryco Psycho