Main Menu

1970 Challenger "key in" buzzer question?

Started by 750-h2, March 30, 2018, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Where is the "key in" buzzer on a 1970 Challenger? At first I thought it was the little box on the right hand side of the lower dash [just passed the glove box] but that turns out to just be a relay for the "key in" buzzer. Is the actual buzzer part of the horn relay?   Thanks.

Cuda Cody

You are right.  The buzzer is in that silver little box under the glove box under the dash.  They often times stop working due to age.  Not easy to find them in good working order.

Cuda Cody

Here's a photo if it.  They often times have the date ink stamped on them (if I recall correctly).

750-h2

Cody are you sure? I tested mine and it is defective as there is no continuity in it. Knowing that it needs to be replaced I took it apart and it is just a simple relay, no buzzer?

Chryco Psycho

when I have de-activated the buzzer I have bent one tab on the horn relay in the fuse panel

750-h2

Chryco Phyco is your car a 1970? If so did you notice if the buzzing sound actually came from the horn relay?

Cuda Cody

Yes, that looks like it's correct.  I recall taking one apart and that is what I remember seeing inside of it.  I think when it's charged (powered), it vibrates making the sound.  That's the little arm that comes off of it that makes the sound.

750-h2

Cody just to make sure are you positive that the buzzing sound comes from that box and not from the horn relay box on the fuse box?  Thanks

Cuda Cody

That is the correct key buzzer and it goes over on the passenger side under  the dash.  Part number 2983696.  You can still find them NOS but not cheap. [ebay]253464055499[/ebay]

750-h2

That is the same part number as mine. I am very confused . :looney: I just brought that part over to a friend of mine that has been servicing arcade and pin ball machines for the last 40 years. He tells me that it is a relay only and not a buzzer? Chryco Phyco says that on his 1970 the buzzing sound comes from the horn relay on the fuse box. Just trying to verify all the wiring before I install the dash in the car. Can anyone confirm actually hearing buzzing sound come from the box on the right hand side of the dash? Thanks again!

750-h2

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 30, 2018, 04:16:58 PM
Quote from: 750-h2 on March 30, 2018, 04:04:33 PM
Chryco Phyco is your car a 1970? If so did you notice if the buzzing sound actually came from the horn relay?
yes both
OK Maybe I am wrong but you have a 4 pin horn relay in the fuse block correct ?

Yes

Jim AAR

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 30, 2018, 02:28:23 PM
You are right.  The buzzer is in that silver little box under the glove box under the dash.  They often times stop working due to age.  Not easy to find them in good working order.

:iagree: and that's the only thing that buzzes if the key is in and the door is open on my 70 AAR.

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 30, 2018, 04:05:29 PM
Yes, that looks like it's correct.  I recall taking one apart and that is what I remember seeing inside of it.  I think when it's charged (powered), it vibrates making the sound.  That's the little arm that comes off of it that makes the sound.

:iagree: it's an electromechanical buzzer, which use a coil and a moving electrical contact. When the coil is energized, the contact is pulled toward the coil, but this breaks the circuit and the contact rapidly moves back to its original position, this is what creates the noise.

750-h2

Cuda Cody

FYI, it needs a good ground to work.    :bigthumb:

tman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 30, 2018, 03:56:52 PM
when I have de-activated the buzzer I have bent one tab on the horn relay in the fuse panel

Of the 4 tabs, which one to bend to deactivate the buzzer?  Thanks!