Main Menu

71 Challenger Headlight Switch

Started by bluemp301, August 15, 2019, 08:10:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bluemp301

New to the forum and Challengers so bare with me!

Helping my dad fix some minor issues on his 71 Challenger he purchased about a year ago.

His headlights randomly stopped working one day and we're pretty confident it's the headlight switch. (previous owner had a receipt of some kind of work done to the headlight switch)

Where is the best place to purchase a new one? I've found some on eBay and the price seems reasonable I just wasn't sure if there was a trusted go to source for something like that.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @bluempe01   :welcome:  Tell us more about the car.  Is it a restored car or original?  Has it been repainted?  Original wiring or new wiring?  Have you checked fuses and grounds?

Burdar

Quote(previous owner had a receipt of some kind of work done to the headlight switch)

Do you have that receipt?  Who worked on it?  The reason I ask is that we have a member who restores original switches.  He does great work.  If it's one of his, maybe he would look at it for you and see what/if there is a problem with it. 

I would look into having your original switches rebuilt.  They are of much higher quality then any reproductions.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Now that you're a member here you can enjoy a members discount at Roseville Moparts....
Here you go...
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/head-lamp-switch-70-71-e-body/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Quote from: Burdar on August 15, 2019, 09:26:32 AM
Quote(previous owner had a receipt of some kind of work done to the headlight switch)

Do you have that receipt?  Who worked on it?  The reason I ask is that we have a member who restores original switches.  He does great work.  If it's one of his, maybe he would look at it for you and see what/if there is a problem with it. 

I would look into having your original switches rebuilt.  They are of much higher quality then any reproductions.  :alan2cents:

:iagree:  I had my dimmer switch restored by member J & S. Good to work with, and very happy with the work. I've heard that new resto switches can be hit or miss on quality.

JS29

A bad dimmer switch can make the head lights fail!  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Just to clear up the last couple of comments. There is two "dimmer" switches.  :alan2cents:

The one on the floor by the E Brake that switches the headlights from low to high beams.

The one in the instrument cluster which controls the dash lights and dome light.

If the one on the floor is fubar'd then the headlights might not work. Not sure if the dash one interferes with the headlights. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on August 15, 2019, 11:08:28 AM
Just to clear up the last couple of comments. There is two "dimmer" switches.  :alan2cents:

The one on the floor by the E Brake that switches the headlights from low to high beams.

The one in the instrument cluster which controls the dash lights and dome light.

If the one on the floor is fubar'd then the headlights might not work. Not sure if the dash one interferes with the headlights. :thinking:

Good clarification! In my case, it was the dash dimmer/dome light switch that was bad, and it had no affect on my headlight switch or operation. J & S did that switch for me. Good point on the headlight dimmer switch on the floor affecting the headlight switch. Don't know that those can be rebuilt. May need to go with a new one.

bluemp301

Appreciate the warm welcome and information!

Cuda Cody: It is a restored car running and driving /6 car. (Probably will turn into a small block car eventually but no need to take apart a running car at the moment). Was originally F3 green but was repainted a similar but brighter green from Renault I believe. Wiring should be original. I believe my father checked the fuses and my brother briefly checked ground/stuff with a volt meter.

Burdar: Yes my father still has the receipt. I'll have him take a look although when I briefly looked at it I thought it looked like a repair receipt as the car was taken somewhere? Could be wrong but I'll have him take a look at it again this weekend. I appreciate the heads up!

Anlauto: Appreciate the link! To clear it up the dimmer itself works for the gauges and what not. The hi/lo beams worked before anything acted up and from what we are thinking is the toggle switch like the one you linked is what we believe needs replaced.

318stroker: Appreciate the referral! What's his contact info or username to get ahold of? I'll pass the info on to my father.

318Stroker

Welcome to the site. Here's his website with all info. Jim's a good guy and will take care of you.

http://www.jsrestorations.com/

JS29

his user name is @Slotts . I was referring to the hi-lo beam switch. when they act up it will interfere with your headlights.  :alan2cents:

bluemp301

318stroker: Thanks again! I'll definitely save his info.

JS29: Didn't mean to overlook ya there. I appreciate the info! I'll make sure we take a look. 

bluemp301

Well we found that the switch appears to have a dead spot. If you finesse the toggle just right the headlights work just fine.

Just figured I'd update this thread in case someone comes across a similar issue. We'll probably remove it to see if there's anything we can do to clean up the connection otherwise it'll be sent off for repair sometime over the winter.

Chryco Psycho

If you can't fix it Jim / Slotts can rebuild it JS restorations