Main Menu

71 cuda rallye dash with all the bells and whistles question

Started by 72restocuda, June 01, 2022, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

First time poster to this site.  I am in the process of putting together a 71 rally dash harness from year one in my 72 standard dash barracuda, bought literally everything to make the change I think but adding in time delay harness, 1970 overhead console with low fuel relay, rear defogger, headlight buzzer, road lamps for a 71'.  The questions I have are
1. when installing a low fuel relay you leave off the black jumper from the voltage limiter and use the sender blue wire and blue wire from the relay to run the fuel gauge.  does the relay go to where the black limiter used to go?
2. On the enclosed picture of a 71' rallye harness and how it plugs into the road lamps and timer delay harness the questions are - these are marked with thin green tape
    a. on the main harness going down to the fusebox is a 2 prong female plug with black and black yellow wires - does this goto the buzzer relay harness? or the male connector in the road lamp harness?  On the same road lamp harness there is another female double plug - is this the plug that goes to the buzzer relay?
    b. the double yellow with black stripe female bullet connector on th main harness next to the above- does this gotothe time delay relay?
    c. also on the main harness on the left side of the picture is a double yellow wired female bullet plug - this looks like the courtesy lamp ground  - is that right?
So overall there are 6 marked wires/plugs in the picture that I would like more information on, I have seen the schematics but nothing beats a picture or a description.

MoparLeo

Why a 71 harness with a 72 dash. Obviously different and then a Gran Coupe overhead console to boot. ??
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

72restocuda

I bought a 71 harness and a 71 rallye gauge cluster and yes all the fixings for an overhead console, the only 72' part of the dash is the year of manufacture of the metal frame. all the relays and harnesses in theory they should work together. 

anlauto

I've only done one overhead console E-Body and that was back in the 90's so I can't help....get yourself a service manual, if you don't already have one....spend some time with the wire diagrams, they can be overwhelming at first, but they will have all your answers... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72restocuda

all of the diagrams don't answer or contradict one main question i have too - on the fuel gauge does the blue wire from main harness stay in its usual spot and the blue wire from the low fuel relay goto where the voltage regular wire used to go to - I've seen diagrams where they are switched left to right and the low fuel relay blue wire goes to where the blue rally harness wire usually goes to.  And the connectors from the road lamps - how do they connect to the buzzer and the main harness - its differnet than a 1970 - no diode

benguin

For my 1970 w/overhead console, the main harness G4-18DBL has the same location "as is" like the non-low fuel light cars.  The feed from the low fuel relay, G4A-DBL (the terminal that is perpendicular to the other 3 on the relay) takes over the duty that the spider cable connecting the oil/temp/fuel gauges had.

72restocuda

Thank you so much, now if I can get input from someone with a 71 rallye dash and how to connect the road lamps to the main harness to the head lamp buzzer I'll be set.
-Steve

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

72restocuda

that's the diagram that's giving me problems, there is 1 male and 2 female 2 prong connectors, saying head lamp buzzer wiring.  There is a female connector on the main harness and 1 male and 1 female connector on the road lamp harness . Does the male connector on the road lamp wiring goto the main harness connector and the female connector on the road lamp harness goto the buzzer wiring to the relay on the side of the dash frame, there is no provision for a diode like in the 1970 road lamp harness, Thanks
-Steve