Main Menu

72/73 Dash Harness Differences???

Started by Adams1stCuda, April 23, 2018, 06:02:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

Does anyone know what the difference are/could be between a 72 and 73 dash wiring harness to warrant the $82 difference at YO; with the 72 being more expensive?  I have both year wiring diagrams from ClassicCarWiring and other than the color of the jumper wire between the A/C and Heater Blower connector, I cannot find any differences.  TIA...

Cuda Cody

I can't think of anything major that would equal a big price jump.  Maybe it has to do with the number of them made / sold so the less they make of one specific year could mean they have to charge more to get them?   :notsure:  Year One sells the M&H and they are great harnesses.

You can often get a 25% to 30% off coupon if you want, or use our discount code for savings right now.  DISCOUNT CODE = "EBODIES" 15% OFF / 20% OFF over $500 / 25% OFF over $1,000

Adams1stCuda

Ya they have 30% plus free shipping until the end of the month, and are not excluding the harnesses, so I am going to order one for sure.  It just seems weird that if they are the same why different part numbers/price.

Burdar

It's possible that the bulkhead connectors and/or the fuse panel is different between years. Make sure all of your engine compartment harnesses will physically bolt up to the bulkhead.

If the harnesses are identical, there would be no reason for different part numbers.  So, there must be a difference somewhere.  Whether that causes an installation problem is another matter.  Post your findings please.

anlauto

Uh...weird....also all 5 years of harnesses have different part numbers, so I guess there's some sort of difference between 72 & 73  :thinking: :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

quapman

72s have the 3-pin door jamb switch on the driver's side. That may have changed over mid year to the 73 style.

Adams1stCuda

So its solved...called YO and they gave me the number to call M&H Electric who manufactures the harnesses.  Got ahold of their technical department and the guy was more than helpful.  He looked up the engineering and technical schematics of each and went 'line-by-line' at each electrical connection and found the following differneces:

1. Passenger side door jam switch connector; 72 had a femal blade connector, 73 was a bullet connector
2. Driver side door jam switch connector; 72 had a 3-pin connector (@quapman had it pegged), 73 had a female blade
3. 72 had a time delay relay on the dome lamp (2 yellow w/black trace and female bullet connector), 73 did not have this

anlauto

Interesting to know that they really do sweat out the small details  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Slotts

Quote from: anlauto on April 24, 2018, 12:03:44 PM

Then do an epic fail installing the 71+ fuse block with incorrect wiring that should be installed into the 70 only E body harnesses.  :Thud:

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

shawge

I remember they sent a note when I got my 70 harness.  I remember one of the differences was the horn relay.  What are the others?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Chryco Psycho

probably added the seat belt warning light on the right side of the dash in 73

ledphoot

Quote from: Slotts on April 24, 2018, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 24, 2018, 12:03:44 PM

Then do an epic fail installing the 71+ fuse block with incorrect wiring that should be installed into the 70 only E body harnesses.  :Thud:

Jim

Thats interesting, I need to replace the entire wiring harness in the cuda and was looking at using them.. I guess I shouldn't assume that it is plug and play...

Sad..

Slotts

Quote from: shawge on April 24, 2018, 02:41:37 PM
I remember they sent a note when I got my 70 harness.  I remember one of the differences was the horn relay.  What are the others?

Isn't that special! They were kind enough to take your money first, then include a slip of paper notifying the harness is not 100% correct. Bless their hearts.

Quote from: ledphoot on April 24, 2018, 11:46:13 PM

Thats interesting, I need to replace the entire wiring harness in the cuda and was looking at using them.. I guess I shouldn't assume that it is plug and play...

Sad..

Sad? No mad! I don't blame M&H, but Y1. They had to the working capital to do it right and went the cheap way out. You see where the motive is behind it. Dollars over everything else.

I would like to know when a 70 E body dash harness is installed in a car being judged, how many points are taken away when the key in buzzer rings under the steering column, instead of ringing from the separate relay by the passenger glove box door? The next time I see a 70 E body car being judged, I am going to find out...

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

anlauto

Yes...I forgot the bulkhead is incorrect for 70, however the 70 M&H harness still has the door buzzer on the passenger side by the glove box. :alan2cents: