Main Menu

Original AC Dash differences

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 25, 2020, 09:34:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I'm getting closer to ordering an aftermarket AC system for my 70 Challenger. My car did not have AC originally.

The kits offer versions for AC cars and non AC cars. Not crazy about the underdash vent bar option so I was wondering how difficult it would be to add original style vents. Obviously there are the vents themselves but the dash frame appears to already have the cutouts for the vents. I need a new dash anyway. What other items are needed if I tried to go this cleaner looking route? Guessing cowl airboxes are different?

I know some will say go all original but unless I find everything I need for sale all together, I really don't want to hunt down all the items. I'm good with aftermarket but if it were easy to do it with original style dash vents, that would be great!

anlauto

I'm dealing with this right now. My customer suppled a Classic Air system for his non-AC car. The kit includes dash vents and instructions for cutting holes in the existing non-AC dash pad as well as all the new duct work and tubes. The kit also uses the old heater controls with cables which I thought was weird.
I haven't attempted it yet, but his pad is perfect so I think I better measure twice, cut once :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Isn't the firewall different on the a/c cars other then just the evaporator holes? Don't know if he's trying to convert the entire setup to look factory. I have a complete a/c heater box. But there is a lot more to change .

70 Challenger Lover

I wasn't trying to convert to the original set up. My firewall is the non AC type and I can modify as needed at this early stage because I'm still finishing up metal work.

I wasn't able to get a lot of information on the Classic air kit but that's good to know about them using cables. The fly by wire approach on Vintage Air sounds a lot better.

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 26, 2020, 06:15:31 AM
The fly by wire approach on Vintage Air sounds a lot better.

I agree with that....but I didn't get an opinion  :'(  I didn't even know we were adding AC until the engine showed up with a compressor on it  :headbang: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JonH

Just did Vintage air. All dash frames are the same, so you can use your existing frame. If you are replacing the pad anyway, just get an ac pad. You will need the oe vents for the pad. You will also need a new panel where the heater ac control goes as there is a vent there as well. Vents for outside air (cowl vents) will be plugged. Vintage air system very nice. Instructions not so much...

RUNCHARGER

It shouldn't be too hard to make a Vintage Air unit work with the stock Mopar A/C vents.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 26, 2020, 07:28:55 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to make a Vintage Air unit work with the stock Mopar A/C vents.

They actually offer one for cars that had stock AC and that was the route I was considering. I think our cars look so much nicer with original vents instead of the aftermarket set up.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

ragtopdodge

Not a big deal.

However, finding original vents for the AC dash pad, that aren't broken, is going to be expensive.

Worth it though.  I hate those underdash pods.

ALso remember, original AC has that lower finish panel.  Hard to find one that isn't cracked.

70 Challenger Lover

Finish panel?

I noticed there is a duct behind the dash that I probably need. What's the finish panel?

JonH

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 27, 2020, 05:22:14 PM
Finish panel?

I noticed there is a duct behind the dash that I probably need. What's the finish panel?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1974-barracuda-challenger-under-dash-A-C-TRIM-panel-w-courtecy-light-mint/392810458490?hash=item5b7553ed7a:g:8GIAAOSwmh9eyVXa

You won't need any duct work. They use flexible tubing. You really don't NEED the trim panel, but does look nice...

70 Challenger Lover

JonH

Nope...only if you have an extra $250 you don't know what to do with...Have you looked at there website to see what is in the kit? Looked at installation instructions? I recommend you do a little research there and you will have a better understanding of what you do and do not need. Or better yet talk to their tech people...

70 Challenger Lover

I've never noticed the dash finish panel before. Thanks. It does look good but I notice many pictures I find of AC cars don't have this panel. Is it standard with all AC e body cars?