Main Menu

A01 sub-harness on 71 Cuda

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 03, 2018, 10:02:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

Wiring is one of my many achilles heel's  :pullinghair: Luckily companies like M&H provide harnesses. I saw some info on here for '70 a01, guessing mine is essentially the same.  So here is my situation:

My dash was done by instrument specialties including wiring. It was a basket case like everything else and they found a mish mash of wires based off a spliced '70 harness according to them. I told them to go ahead and put a proper new '71 harness in. At the time there was no mention by me or them about the A01 light package being on the car. The dash did not have a map light attached at the time which would have been a dead giveaway. The rest of the car's harnesses are M&H. All wires are new. Dash in non-rallye, am radio, manual convertible top (no overhead console), light package car. Column is also newly wired with ignition switch light lead.

I have over 2k pictures of the car and its various parts, but I never took a picture of the back of the dash before installing it. Ugh.

Fast forward 3-4 years and the dash is installed as well as the column and I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the ignition light which sends me down this rabbit hole.

My questions:
1. Is the wiring attached to the delay relay, map light and switch its own 'sub-harness'?
1A. If yes, it would indicate that I do not have that harness from what I can see under the dash. Does anyone know of a source for these harnesses? M&H does not seem to make them. Where do I plug the sub harness into? Plugs I have been able to locate without existing attachments are 2 yellow 3 to 1 accessory plugs, one clear 3 prong plug, one round female and one narrow "V" plug (both with yellow and black tracer wires). I will attach pictures of my current under dash...
1B. If no, how do I confirm that my dash harness does not have the required connections? I have not found the plugs for the delay relay, the odd splitter for console and map leads, the red accessory type 3 prong plug going on to the glove box light (this will require more looking around the heater box I bet) or an ignition light lead. I guess its possible that all these are tucked up above the radio or heater but seems like I'd have seen some of these leads.

Any direction on this would be helpful.
Thanks
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

Thanks Alan  :cheers:

I've gone back under to see if I can find where the new map light harness would connect. I'm using the attached diagram as reference.

Red 3 pin connector - I believe I've found this above the radio. One pin seems to go to the glove box light. The other two are free.

Title light - it is currently connected to an orange red plug. This plug appears to be a generic 12v positive lead as it passed current to the accessory plugs and several other wires I randomly tested. So I "assume " I can disconnect it without issue and route the title light to the map light harness.

The round female plug with yellow black tracer wires (this is the one pictured in original post with tag showing "used")- this plug is currently unused and I believe goes to the dimmer switch. Is that correct you think? Anyway, would that be wire m6c-20y or m6d-20y on the diagram?

Plug m2a-20y - this one I have yet to find. Does it need to be plugged in for the harness to function? Where might I find this plug if so?

Thanks!
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

That was a good lead Alan. Talked with Tommy today and he is setting me up with the proper kit. One thing that may be of note to others in my situation, is that the harness changed slightly from 70 to 71. They remove the barrel connector for one thing. That's where I had that "?" on the diagram. So I no longer have to search for a plug that doesn't exist on my harness. So that's good.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

Another thing I learned is convertibles had the map light even without the A01 group...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration