Main Menu

AAR Electrical Gremlins

Started by Jeff McKain, December 16, 2019, 11:30:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jeff McKain

Hey - A little help please.
Noticed headlights dimming/brightening with RPM for a while, then at a show in August it just would. not. start... jumped it and got it home, but when I turned on the headlights as I pulled it into the garage (tight fit at the nose, so I use the lights to guide it in) it just died and again would not restart.

Thoughts? when it comes to electrical, I'm plug it in, turn it on, then call for help - and electrical issues + fiberglass hood? Not something I want to screw with.

FYI - car was restored in the 80's - wiring was replaced then, I did have a wire from the starter relay fail 2-3 yrs ago and replaced...

thanks!

JS29

@Jeff McKain   Alternator or regulator. sounds like your not charging. you could remove your alternator, bring it to a parts store and have it tested. your voltage regulator is bolted to the firewall, that can be tested as well. voltage regulator needs to have a good ground.   :alan2cents:

Katfish

How old is the battery?
Might just be time to replace.

JS29

@Jeff McKain   :welcome: Please introduce yourself on the new members section, Tell us more about that sharp looking Cuda you have there!  :handshake:

HEMICUDA

Quote from: JS29 on December 16, 2019, 11:46:46 AM
@Jeff McKain   Alternator or regulator. sounds like your not charging. you could remove your alternator, bring it to a parts store and have it tested. your voltage regulator is bolted to the firewall, that can be tested as well. voltage regulator needs to have a good ground.   :alan2cents:

I concur with both you guys.  I would lean to the alternator first, start the car and pull a battery cable off, if the car quits, it's most likely the alternator.

Chryco Psycho

Put a volt meter on the battery it should be 13.2 not running & 14.7 running , , if it is not above 14.5v running Alt or regulator , , if it is above 14.5 running I bet the battery is below 12v not running & the battery is bad

nsmall

Welcome.  I love how this guy just rolls in on a first post with his AAR.   :welcome:   :bradsthumb:

torredcuda

Could also be dirty connections/grounds, as Chryco said check voltage at battery and go from there.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/