Main Menu

Alternator Battery Terminal Post

Started by bc3j, December 12, 2022, 12:30:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bc3j

Does this terminal just screw into the case? My one alternator, I suspect is many years old, has a hex 7/16 nut onto the terminal post. A rebuilt Remy alternator has a shorter terminal post with no hex nut on it only a collar next the to a nylon bushing in the case. Don't have a photo of that one.
Are these terminal posts interchangeable?
The Remy unit feels slightly loose and a has very, very minimal wobble. It's tuff to grab it without damaging the threads on the post.
Do they just thread into the case?  If so, can I lock two nuts together and tighten the terminal post?

Rich G.

Make sure the nut is tight on the terminal . The outer nut is just to hold the wire on.

Mr Lee

If I remember correctly, that terminal does not just screw into the case.  It threads into a part inside the alternator but I don't remember what it's called.  So to remove the post you have to open up the alternator and remove the piece in there that the post is attached to. 

I accidentally overtightened mine and broke that piece in there and had to bring it to an alternator rebuild guy.  I think he said it was porcelain inside... or something like that. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

dodj

The nut closest to the alt body tightens the stud to the alt body (but insulated from). The nut furthest from the alt body is for attaching the output wire.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill