Main Menu

Alternator charging too much.

Started by Racer57, March 30, 2020, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Alternator shows 14.9 at idle and goes up too 15.8v  No headlights or anything on.   Bought new regulator and it shows the exact same.   I've never had a reason to check the alternator in past because I had no reason to suspect anything wrong until I had the amp gauge changed to volts and thats when I noticed something wasn't right.  This is the alternator I have if that tells you guys anything.  Would the wrong size pulley cause it ?   Is it overcharging enough to cause problems ?

dodj

If you are wired in stock configuration, high resistance connections at the B/H connector can cause that. It's like this. The alt puts out, for example 14.2 volts. A high resistance connection at the B/H can drop, lets say, 1.2 volts. Now the VR sees 14.2 - 1.2 = 13.0 volts. So the VR ups the output of the alt to 15.4 because it wants to see about 14.2. (15.4-1.2 = 14.2)
Clean your connections and you will likely find your charging goes back to normal. If not corrected soon enough, it is this situation that melts the B/H connector. Poor connections (voltage drops) cause heat.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57

If it makes any difference, I do have a bypass wire from alt to starter relay and theres no change whether its hooked up or not.

JS29

Confirm your voltage regulator is grounded.  :alan2cents: 

Racer57

Quote from: JS29 on March 31, 2020, 07:56:23 AM
Confirm your voltage regulator is grounded.  :alan2cents:
braided strap from it to intake bolt.

Chryco Psycho

Pulley size makes no difference as the regulator should keep it in the right zone , do you have a volt meter to double check the voltage at the battery ?