Main Menu

Alternator died... Any low cost upgrades?

Started by FSHTAIL, August 18, 2017, 11:15:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Skunkworks Challenger on September 10, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
I made those modifications to my wiring and couldn't be more pleased.

You did the alt swap too or wired your alt like I did?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Skunkworks Challenger

Racer57

Is there a volt meter that can be used to replace the ammeter ? I've got to replace my tach this winter and it would be a good time to rework the ammeter.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Racer57 on October 03, 2017, 07:30:26 PM
Is there a volt meter that can be used to replace the ammeter ? I've got to replace my tach this winter and it would be a good time to rework the ammeter.
Yup.      Forgot who sells it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cudakiller70

Not sure if this is what you where looking for? @Chris Pauluk , @Racer57
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/voltage-gauge-for-cuda-rallye-dash/685/

Re: Voltage gauge for Cuda rallye dash
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
ReplyQuote
Quote from: Cudalbs on February 11, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
Well I said I would post my journey through this little project, so here we go....
I started with a stock rallye cluster and sunpro voltmeter CP7985.

Rumple

Im confused. Does running a wire from the alternator to starter relay on a stock system elevate any of the bottleneck?

FSHTAIL

Yup.      Then you can just undo the amp gauge and put both wires on one stud to reconnect the circuit. 

crackedback

Running the wire from the alternator to starter relay will relieve the bulkhead of most all charging requirements the battery needs.

I'm with 1Wild R/T regarding the Mad style alterations.  I suggest installing the wire around, bypass ammeter and leave ALL the OEM wiring in place.   The interior will pull whatever it needs through the bulkhead.  Always check the bulkhead where the large black and red wires enter and exit for deterioration and make any repairs required.

I build the wire-arounds in 6 and 8 gauge wire with a fusible link if desired for 30-40ish depending on length.  I do have some buyers that don't want a fusible link. 

Chryco Psycho

I generally install the bypass & relays for high draw items like headlights & fans this takes all of the load off off the bulkhead connections & ammeter
this is a simple volt meter that just plugs into the lighter socket https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Voltmeter-Voltage-Gauge-Meter-Monitor-Dual-USB-Charger-Cigarette-Lighter-New/202017705311?hash=item2f09318d5f:m:mwghJfqZOdsS-IcAD4FvOlg

RCman

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on August 21, 2017, 10:45:23 PM
So I ordered a 120amp alternator. 

@Chris Pauluk, would you mind telling me where did you pick up the alternator from? I see Mancini has the brackets but only have a 60Amp alternator listed. Everywhere I see the 120Amp version of the alternator seems to have a serpentine pulley with it and that obviously isn't going to work with a stock V-belt setup. It doesn't appear as the stock pulley is the same based on your pictures.

I need to do something about the alternator, it can't keep up with my electric fuel pump and EFI setup on my 383.

Marc70challenger

@Chris Pauluk  where do you put your ANL fuse ?  Curious as this summer I may do the ammeter by-pass.

Thanks. And glad you got it solved !

FSHTAIL

I got the alt from eBay for a 85 Toyota pickup. 

ANL fuse between the alt and battery. 

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on February 19, 2018, 07:06:07 PM
I got the alt from eBay for a 85 Toyota pickup. 

ANL fuse between the alt and battery. 

Cool  Did you go straight from the alt to the battery or down to the starter relay and onto the battery terminal on the relay?   Thx !

FSHTAIL

Starter relay

Marc70challenger