Main Menu

Battery Tray Questions

Started by tparker, February 11, 2019, 12:15:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I was trying to install my battery tray and ran into a couple issues. There seems to be a difference in the aftermarket battery trays. some have one of the holes in different places.

My New one looks like this:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/EAQAAOSw2LdbaJ6f/s-l300.jpg
I think I need this:
http://www.autometaldirect.com/images/6/340-1570_800.jpg

Is one just a bad one, or are these different options? Can any one explain?

Also, I'm having an issue installing it. I have one bolt to the front of the car and an arm that should connect to that hole that is in the wrong place, which I'll have to drill out. I don't have any other places to bolt it to the body. Does anyone have any photos or can explain how it mounts? Not many pics on line i could find. I found one that looks like it bolted on the bottom of the tray to the ledge on the body, but mine doesn't have any holes there. I'll post some pics later to make it clear.

Cuda Cody

There are some reproductions that do not fit because the holes are in the wrong place.

Daveh

I had a reproduction one a few years ago where the holes didn't line up.  Rather than drilling into the body I just welded up the holes in the tray and drilled new ones. 

71vert340

There must be variations in the battery trays. In the attached photo, the black tray is one I just pulled out of a 71 Challenger hardtop - bolts right in. The red primer one is a tray I bought 35+ years ago from the Dodge dealer -it was on a shelf at a dealer somewhere. Notice the extra hole and the difference in the raised portion of the trays on the left side. Both fit but are different. Someone here probably has a good explanation
Terry

anlauto

The two circled holes bolt to the inner fender, you should have area for to clip nuts. As for the top hole in the picture, just drill a new one wherever you need it  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

Ha, I am not entirely crazy. I will need to drill one hole in the tray. According to @anlauto, I will probably have to drill two holes in the fender. Not sure why mine doesn't have them already. Hmmmm. I have to dig through photos and see what it originally looked like.

Thanks

71vert340

So was your inner fender replaced?
TW

JS29

tparker

No the inner fender was not replaced. LOL, however, I fixed it and forgot about it. LOL.  :drunk: It was rotted and I fabricated a small piece where the fender bolt holes would be. It was so bad that I didn't notice them on the piece I replaced. I painted the engine compartment a while back and forgot I repaired it until I looked underneath, So now I gotta drill a couple extra holes and figure out how to best to mount it.

Brads70

There seems to be more than one company reproducing battery trays. I remember walking around for hours at Carlisle looking at one to buy. What stuck out to my eyes what the corners of the lip, some were nice and smooth like Alan's picture and others were wrinkled not forming a nice corner. All those hours obsessing over a part I did buy one,  but then gave it away when I moved the battery to the trunk.. :Thud:  Yup it's a sickness!