Main Menu

Battery

Started by 7212Mopar, March 08, 2018, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I found out my car has problem starting after the engine is hot. The starter turns over very very slow with the battery fully charged. It cranks nice and normal when cold with the new mini starter. From readings on the web, this could be starter getting too hot by the exhaust headers, too much ignition advance (set at 12 degrees now), bad battery, battery cables or grounding. I am sorting them out now one at a time and got a blanket for the starter.

My car has a Duralast battery now with about 500 CCA. In case I need to change the battery, is Optima yellow top a good choice? Anyone has experience on them? My car is not numbers matching or high value and no need to look original from factory.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Jim AAR

If it turns over fast when it's cold, it is not the battery or cables. It's most likely the Starter and could be due to the starter overheating or a bad Armature in the Starter.

You can buy an Ammeter Gauge that will test the draw the starter is pulling from the Battery. Just crank it over with the gauge around the Starter Cable wire.

Here's an old Snap On one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SNAP-ON-MI-112-2-PIECE-INDUCTIVE-AMMETER-SET-IN-THE-ORIGINAL-BOX-/192473108588?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Check it when it's cold and then again when it's hot

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
I agree with Jim likely you have a starter problem , are you using a regular or modern mini starter ? It may be time to switch to a mini !

On the topic of batteries , I had an Optima red top that lasted 13 years But you cannot let them sit they need to be in your daily driver if the car is sitting

7212Mopar

I got a brand new shiny mini starter from Mancinni Racing. I will put the insulating blanket wrap tomorrow. Will see how it goes. All wire connections are good.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

another thing to check is your battery cables. Make sure they don't have " the green death"  :alan2cents:

71-440

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 09, 2018, 09:47:15 PM
I got a brand new shiny mini starter from Mancinni Racing. I will put the insulating blanket wrap tomorrow. Will see how it goes. All wire connections are good.

I just put in the same one on my 440. My other one died.
Still cranks slow when hot. I also wrapped it.
My timing is set at 24* Initial. You are at 12* so should not be to much of a issue I would think.

Check your grounds also. Ground circuit needs to carry the same load back to the battery.

This was originally posted by "Roadman" I believe. Good read!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/top-10-electrical-fixes/
Joe

BIGSHCLUNK

Got a mini from Dave at Roseville tears ago. Cranks way better (HEMI)  and no issues, not wrapped either

Mopar451

Had a similar issue years ago, starter played nice when cold and bad when hot. Making the problem a bit worse was the trunk mounted battery, even so, good when cold. Cables, connections, and grounds were all good. Switched to a mini starter and it improved but it would still crank slower when hot. I was able to cure the problem by switching to a Denso alternator. This is an alternator that uses a "sensing" wire that informs the alternator how hard to work (over simplified explanation). It will charge the battery even at idle which most mopar voltage regulators don't do. It also eliminates the voltage regulator. Since you are not concerned with being "original" (same here) this would probably go a very long way to getting that starter happy again.  AR Engineering sells the bracket kit to make it all bolt up. Good luck.